What's With This "Man Bun" Trend?

What's With This "Man Bun" Trend?

It's a bird, it's a plane, nope ... it's just another man bun.

6687
What's With This "Man Bun" Trend?
telegraph.co.uk

Fashion trends are always changing throughout the decades. Looking at the 80's, shoulder pads, thick make-up, teased/permed hair, huge earrings, and spandex were "in". During the 90's, overalls, chokers, scrunchies, etc. Today ... the man bun? Who the fu$% started this trend?!

According to different sources, the man bun was started by "hipsters." They couldn't get anymore specific, could they?

For those who do not know exactly what the man bun is, it is defined as "a type of long hairstyle that involves the tying of one’s hair into a single bun to be placed upon the crown area of the head (aka the 'vertex'). Other names for the man bun include 'bro bun', 'hipster bun', 'mun' or 'dude bun'. Likewise, the 'man bun' word can be spelled as manbun or man-bun."

Seeing that I wear my hair in buns, I did not know that putting your hair in a bun was that complicated or that there were actually terms used for it? Also, if you did not know what the "vertex" was either, you are definitely not alone.

Now I'm going to give you a scenario: Just imagine you see two guys walking down the street (each sporting the man bun) and they walk by each other saying, "Nice 'mun' man," or "cool 'dude bun'." I honestly don't know how I would react to this.

While I don't really know when this trend started, I have seen this many times on my own college campus, which has dramatically increased in the past year. I am fully aware that there are some guys out there that have always worn their hair in a bun, but there are so many guys hopping on the man bun bandwagon--I probably see at least 10-15 man buns per day on average and I'm going to go crazy if I see another one. In my personal opinion the man bun looks straight up stupid, but that's just me.

This trend has gotten so out-of-hand that they made faux buns for people who don't have long enough hair (It only costs $10 if you were wondering--photo attached below for those interested).

So there you have it. If you want a man bun, but don't actually want to grow out your hair you can just buy the faux version. In all honesty, I believe I speak for many when I say I hope this trend ends soon, cause I can't handle a guy's bun being nicer than mine anymore. Guys, you don't need to grow out your "lettuce" to put it in a bun (lettuce referring to hair). If I see another man bun I am going to go around chopping them off with scissors like the guy from YouTube (if you haven't seen these videos, you should definitely go watch them).

Please, leave your "vertex" alone and hop off the bandwagon.