The Maladaptive Daydreamer's Guide To Disney World

These attractions may seem boring to everyone else - but not to us.

224

Disneyworld attractions are renowned for three main reasons: the advanced technology, the iconic characters, but most of all, their ability to tell a story. It is hard to ever be bored on a Disney ride for that reason - you are in the movie! And you don't have to exert any kind of imagination to get yourself there! As a maladaptive daydreamer, I find Disney's ability to keep me completely in the present while riding most of their attractions to be an impressive feat. Still, for the ordinary citizen, there are a few attractions sprinkled around the parks that they'd rather skip because the "narrative" of the ride or show just isn't exciting enough. Luckily, this isn't an issue for us maladaptive daydreamers. Those "boring" rides give us more than enough material to get lost in a story of our own making. If you are a maladaptive daydreamer, I wouldn't write off those rides yet. Below I've compiled a list of #5 attractions you as a maladaptive daydreamer will enjoy more than the average Disneyworlder.

1. Na'vi River Journey

A peak inside Pandora

The Animal Kingdom has recently added a Pandora section to their park; Pandora, for those of you who don't know, is the mythical world in which the movie "Avatar" takes place in. The Na'vi River Journey is an indoor boat ride through "night-time" Pandora; this ride opened up last year as a sort of complimentary ride to the "Avatar" ride everyone is raving about - a 4D flight on the back of a Banshee. Yes, it is as exciting as it sounds; but we're not talking about that ride! The Na'vi River Journey received a lot of criticism because it is short, it is not as exciting as its neighbor, and there is no "story". In full disclosure, it is the kind of ride your dad will probably fall asleep on. Still, this ride is BEAUTIFUL - the glowing plant life of Pandora light your way through this world of wonder but doesn't overwhelm you with action, allowing you to imagine yourself actually traveling through Pandora.

2. Spaceship Earth

A great shot of the "EPCOT ball"

Moving to EPCOT now, we find ourselves at the iconic Spaceship Earth. Or, as I used to call it, "the EPCOT ball". Inside the EPCOT ball is a slow-moving travel through time - you follow humankind's inventive successes up until the present day, when you get to create your own future using the interactive screen on the backs of the seats in front of you. Added bonus, this ride is narrated by Dame Judi Dench (M from the James Bond movies) - who, by the way, has the most calming voice ever. ASMR Time Travel Edition.

3. Living with the Land

As the narrator of this attraction will let you know, the greenhouses shown on this boat ride actually provide some of the foods used in the rotating EPCOT Land Pavilion restaurant

Still in EPCOT, if we move to the Land Pavilion, we will find two rides: Soarin' Around the World, and Living with the Land. Soarin' Around the World is a flight simulator that uses a large curved screen, fans for a wind-blowing effect, and releases certain aromas corresponding with the scene on the screen to make you feel like you are actually hang-gliding around the globe. Living with the Land is another boat tour that takes you through different landscape types and eventually through EPCOT's greenhouses. Lame in comparison, I know; but again, this narrated ride takes you through a variety of terrains with no real "plot" - perfect for zoning out and getting lost in your own thoughts.

4. Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover

According to Disneyworld.com, the PeopleMover moves forward magnetically using emission-free linear motors, which are supposedly better for the environment than the traditional motor

We're made it to the Magic Kingdom, FINALLY. The Magic Kingdom has a variety of rides - roller coasters, interactive shows, more boat rides (LOL), and then there is this. The Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover. The cars run on a magnetic track that takes you on a tour of Tomorrowland. In contrast to other Disney rides, on which you are aware that the rides are completely fictitious, the PeopleMover actually makes you feel like you're using the urban public transportation of the future. The great view you get of Tomorrowland makes it just that much easier for you to convince yourself you're traveling in the year 3000 instead of 2018.

5. Carousel of Progress

A timeless classic

Last but not least, we have the Carousel of Progress; a show located inside a rotating theater that follows the American family through the 20th century. This show is beyond timeless; Walt originally presented it at the 1964 World's Fair in New York, and the revised version of it found in the Magic Kingdom as become a staple of the park. Each scene takes place in a new decade, and you'll be able to imagine what life really must've been like back then. Even with the repetitive song playing during each transition, as a maladaptive daydreamer, I have no doubt you'll find this ride sparks your imagination