How to Make a Difference by Volunteering

There's an art to volunteering, and here it is.

303
R-Y-P

“Life’s more persistent and urgent question is, what are you doing for others?” These were the words Martin Luther King Jr. used to ask us how we are making a difference in the world. Since the start of my high school career, I became involved in many organizations and clubs mostly the ones that required service projects or service hours. Why? Well because I wanted to give back to my community. My parents have instilled in me the value of giving back to the world because whenever I or my family have struggled, the world lent us a helping hand.

Being involved in clubs and organizations that involved community service opened my mind to many different perspectives of how the world lives. Volunteering has given me the opportunity to see that others do not always have the necessities necessary to survive or to live a happy life. Whenever I served as a volunteer during service projects, it warmed my heart thinking about all of the lives I have made an impact on. Volunteering also helped me step out of my comfort zone by getting involved in various service projects around my community and creating awareness for different causes. More of us should consider taking action and volunteering at various organizations at your school or out in the community.

Here are some ways in which you can start volunteering according to Volunteer Match:

1. Choose a cause or organization that you are most passionate about:

Before you choose an organization to volunteer for, see what you are passionate about. What organizations interest you? Is there something that happened in your life that motivates you to go help organizations? Try to find out what types of organizations reflect your passion and how you can give back!

2. Look for opportunities that will fit your time and skills:

Everyone has busy schedules, right? We all have a billion things going on in our lives. Do not worry because volunteering can be as flexible as a gymnast! Volunteermatch.org is a great website where you can find different organizations that fit your schedule. Volunteering does not consume most of your time during the day. Many organizations ask that you devote two hours of your day to volunteering whether it is in the morning or afternoon. Also, if you are willing to spend your weekend volunteering, they have opportunities for you too!

3. Upload your volunteer resume to showcase your skills:

Creating a volunteer resume is a great idea to show organizations your skills, abilities, and interest. On Volunteermatch.com, you can upload your volunteer resume and a list of opportunities that fit your interest and skills will appear. A volunteer resume can also help you keep track of each and every volunteering opportunity you have completed, which you can later use when applying for jobs.

4. Follow up with organizations:

It is important to follow up with the organizations who have contacted you about the possibility of volunteering for their organization. Be professional, honest, and respectful when contacting them over the phone or by email. Make sure to corroborate the dates you will be volunteering and the time, so that you will be there when they need you.

Now that you know about some of the ways in which you can start volunteering, go out and start searching! Volunteering is a wonderful experience that will display your character, humility, and personality! This is your chance to make a difference in the world!

https://www.volunteermatch.org/volunteers/gettingstarted/