Adjusting to a large campus

The Key To Making Your Big University Feel Small

Soon, school will feel like more of a community made up of those who care for you and help you become the person you are meant to be, rather than just big numbers on paper.

55

So, you're new to your 30,000-person (or larger!) campus. Either you transferred from a smaller school, or you are experiencing college for the first time as a freshman! Or, maybe you've been around for a year or two, but you are still struggling to find your "place" at school. No need to fret or worry because you will find your place and new friends, which will help make 30,000 feel much smaller.

Get involved 

Everyone says this but it is crazy true. Whether it is a club that has to do with your major, hobby, or another interest, join! You will meet people with some of your similar opinions and interests too. These people may be the people you hang out with and study with regularly, which allows you to have a platform of anywhere from five people to even 300 people that you can count on for anything.

Hang out with the people on your floor 

They're the people you live with and typically see on a daily basis! Having a good relationship with your neighbors is good because you will be more comfortable going back to where you live. And, having them in your life lets you expand who you know and have more connections to opportunities around campus.

Sit with someone new in class 

Last semester I knew no one in any of my classes, but by the end, I had study groups and new friends! By knowing people in your classes, you will be able to bond with others about that annoying homework assignment or pop quiz the professor threw at you guys

Search the dining hall 

At my dorm specifically, we have our own dining hall where we eat, but other dorms on campus share larger dining halls. Speaking from my own experience of having a smaller dining hall, you are always more than welcome to sit with whoever whenever. This is a good way to meet more people in different majors and who are involved in different things that also live in your building!

All in all, know that you are not alone, even though at times you may feel like a small fish in a big pond. There are plenty of ways to get involved and meet new people—these are the people who will make your college experience ten times better and more fun too! Once you have your circle of pals to turn to or new friends you made in classes, your school will no longer feel like a large, overwhelming campus, but instead, a community made up of those who care for you and help you become the person you are meant to be.