Makeup Tips From Professional Makeup Artists

15 Makeup Tips I've Learned From Professional Artists

These are some words from the wise that have saved my makeup game.

349

Makeup has never been my strong suit. From the time I bought my very first eyeshadow palette and pack of frosty lip glosses from the dollars store, I always felt the need to ask my mom to help me put it on. As I got older, I started seeking out more professional tips to take on more advanced looks. Before leaving for college, I attended a few fashion shows, beauty panels, and one-on-one makeup lessons to receive a wide range of tips from professionals.

1. Toner is a must for your skin's health

Toner is a liquid moisturizer for your face. It is important to look at what's inside the toner you want to buy, because some contain more essential ingredients than others. For example, the one I use carries a PH balancer in it, to keep my skin extra healthy.

2. Primer is your friend

I've only started using primer recently because I didn't know it's great power. I simply place a few drops of primer oil into the palm of my hand and spread it all over my face. Not only does it immediately make your skin look more radiant, but it also keeps your makeup lasting longer, too.

3. Concealers vary in form and usage

I prefer concealers in a powder form only because I'm afraid of my makeup looking like it was painted on. However, I know many people who flawlessly use liquid concealer. Powder concealer has a more natural and lighter feel, but liquid concealer tends to last for a longer time. Yet, primers can help powder concealers look fresh for a longer time. You have to experiment with the different types to see which one works for you at particular occasions.

4. Put on eye makeup before concealer

If you leave your eye makeup for last, any mistakes you make will show on your freshly-applied face. There is nothing worse than having to re-do your concealer and blush because some mascara dripped on your nose or cheek.

5. Wash your hands before application

Even if you put on your makeup in your own clean house, there are still dirty oils and germs pretty much everywhere you go. If you plan on using your fingers to apply something, wash your hands to make sure your face remains as free from grease and dirt as possible.

6. Buy a few shades of concealer if you're a sun bum

For people who change skin tones drastically (especially during the summer), you should invest in buying multiple concealers in different shades. This way, you're guaranteed to have a concealer that closely matches the color of the rest of your body whether you lose or gain a tan.

7. Blend makeup into your neck

Don't just place makeup on your face, but blend it into your neck to make your makeup look more natural and less made-up. Your face after application may look like a mask if you don't evenly blend it down to your neckline.

8. Wash your brushes frequently to prevent breakouts

So many germs and dead skin cells are submerged beneath the surface of your brushes. You can use skin cleansers until the cows come home, but you should frequently wash your brushes (about once a week if you wear makeup every day, and about once every two weeks if you don't wear makeup quite as often as every day) if you want to ensure more cleanliness for your skin.

9. Use makeup remover as a tool

Who says the only time you can use makeup remover is when you're taking off your makeup after a long day? You can use makeup remover as you do your makeup, carefully erasing any mistakes you make along the way. You can also use it on your brushes to take off any colors you have previously used and don't want to mix mid-application.

10. Over-lining your lips can't hurt you

In order to give your lips a fuller shape, you can use a beauty pencil (in a shade close to the color you plan on using) to outline your lips just a little bit above your natural lip line. Once you make this outline, fill in the rest with your lip product.

11. Do whatever works for you

Just because you don't follow the same makeup techniques as your friends doesn't mean that you're doing anything wrong. If you use a different shade of brown or a wider-shaped brush than others, as long as it works on your face, then keep doing what you're doing and be unique.

12. If it's not broken, don't fix it

Many people assume that makeup routines have to be complicated. However, it doesn't have to be. Not everyone requires the same makeup routine as the next person, so there is no need to add unnecessary products and techniques if your skin doesn't demand it.

13. Simple is sexy

It may not seem like it, but, believe it or not, the no-makeup, I-woke-up-like-this look can be pretty cute. A girl that's confident enough to leave the house bare-faced, showing a few blemishes, is attractive because they're secure with themselves. Honestly, sometimes the only thing you need to put on is some cute lip gloss, and leave the rest of your face natural.

14. Always remember that ~you~ are there under any makeup you put on

No matter how many compliments people give you on your makeup, never forget that they are really complimenting you! Makeup artist Zuleika Primo couldn't have said it better: "you're wearing the makeup; the makeup doesn't wear you."

15. Be confident

Always know that, whatever kind of look you're going for, regardless of what kind of makeup you're wearing, confidence comes from within; everyone is gorgeous in their own, unique way, and we all have to embrace our differences to appreciate how special we all are!