10 Makeup Mistakes You Might Be Making​
Beauty Fashion

10 Makeup Mistakes You Might Be Making​

Some quick makeup tips from a non-professional makeup artist

160
10 Makeup Mistakes You Might Be Making​

I am not by any means a professional makeup artist, but through years of experimenting with various good and bad products, making many of the mistakes I have listed, and doing research on proper makeup application, I learned some essential tips for getting the most out of your products! Here's 10 mistakes you might be making that could be keeping you from getting the results you want from the products in your cosmetic bag-

1. Not washing your brushes or beauty blenders frequently enough

According to Elle, your brushes and makeup sponges should be cleaned at least once a week to remove excess bacteria, oils and product build up. When the oils and dirt build up in the brushes, each time makeup is applied you are putting bacteria into the pores of your skin, which can cause infections, irritations, acne or even rashes. Personally, I don't have enough time to deep clean my brushes this often, so I like to use a spot cleaner weekly and deep clean mine at least once a month. When you deep clean, place the clean brushes on a dry towel and let them air dry with the heads of the brushes laying towards you.

Some of my favorite brush cleaning products:

-Sephora Collection Daily Brush Cleaner $8.50 https://www.sephora.com/

-Sephora Collection Solid Brush Cleaner $8 https://www.sephora.com/

-Johnson's Baby Shampoo $5

2. Blowing excess product off of your brushes

This is just as important, if not even more important, than making sure to clean your brushes! When you blow excess product off of your brushes, bacteria is falling into the bristles of the brush from germs found in your mouth- yuck! Also, after you double dip that brush back into another cosmetic product you are contaminating that palette as well. It just becomes a cycle of contamination.

My tip is to pick up a smaller amount of product on your brush and tap off the excess on the top of the palette to prevent any sort of contamination.

One of my favorite bronzers:

-Benefit Cosmetics Hoola Bronzer $16- https://www.benefitcosmetics.com/us/en

3. Applying foundation or concealer without a primer or base

Before applying any foundation product it is essential to apply some sort of base to your skin. This does multiple things for your skin. First, primer prepares the skin for the layer(s) of foundation by smoothing out any fine lines and minimizing large pores. Second, primer helps create a smoother, longer lasting foundation application and many can brighten your complexion. It seriously makes such a difference for your skin- especially acne prone skin, as it provides a barrier when foundation tries to sink into your pores!

My favorite illuminating primer:

-Julep Blank Canvas Illuminating Primer $28- https://www.julep.com/blank-canvas-illuminating-treatment-primer.html

4. Filling in your eyebrows to the point that they look unnatural

Eyebrows are important because they give the face its shape and definition. When we apply very heavy amounts of eyebrow product, our brows look unrealistic and overfilled. The purpose of brow products are to lightly define the natural brow. My best tips for this is to follow the natural arch of the brow while using a lighter hand when filling them in. Make sure when you're defining your brows you use a spoolie to brush out the brow hairs, find a mirror that isn't too zoomed in because the brows define the entire face- not just they eye area, and last find the most natural lighting.

My favorite eyebrow product:

-Anastasia Brow Wiz $21- https://www.ulta.com/

ELLE

5. Using the same eyeshadow brush for all your shadows

It can be so convenient to use the same brush for your lid, crease, brow bone, outer and inner corner, but when you dip the same brush into multiple shades, it can create a bit of a mess on the eyelid. Here's why: first, there is specific brushes made for each part of the eye because each part has a certain shape and blending technique, second when you dip a brush filled with one shade into a new shade you are mixing those two shades together in the palette, which can ruin the palette itself. Finally, when multiple color shades (especially darker shades) are on the brush and applied all over the eye, it can create a mess of shadow all over the eye. For example, if you're trying to create a dark smokey eye, you only want to apply the darkest shade to the outer corner of the eye and then blend that color with a new brush into the crease.

My favorite eyeshadow blending brush:

-Morphe M441 Pro Firm Blending Crease Brush $7- https://www.ulta.com/

6. Applying too many pumps of foundation to your brush or blender

Ideally, only one to two small pumps of foundation is necessary for everyday looks and blending product into the entire face. If you begin at the center of the face and blend outward, you may use less product, which saves you time, money and product! A little product goes a very long way- especially with higher end foundations. Be careful to blend your foundation down your neck as well so there are no harsh lines.

Favorite foundations:

-Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation $42 https://www.ulta.com/

-Too Faced Born This Way Foundation $39 https://www.ulta.com/

7. Concealing too much under the eyes

A very popular makeup trend is applying a heavy concealer underneath the eyes to brighten them. In my opinion, unless this trend is blended out thoroughly and correctly, it can make makeup look very heavy and unnatural. The best technique to conceal the under-eyes is applying small drops of concealer along the under eye. Then blend out the drops using a dabbing motion with a beauty blender to create the most natural, brightening look under the eyes.

A Model Recommends

8. Applying an excessive amount of highlighter

The purpose of highlighter is to attract natural light to the face, which creates the illusion of a subtle glow and radiance to the skin. When applied in small amounts to the most natural areas of the skin, highlighter can enhance the beautiful features of the skin.

My favorite highlighter brush:

-Real Techniques Micro Setting Brush $5 https://www.ulta.com/

9. Throw out mascara that is three to four months old

After about three months, mascara can dry out, which is what causes the clumpy, dry consistency on your lashes. By replacing your mascara every three to four months you will get the most out of your product and it will be safe to use on your delicate lashes!

10. Sleeping with makeup on

This is possibly one of the worst things you can do for your skin and your pillow. When you sleep with a full face of makeup on you are not giving your skin the opportunity to heal and rejuvenate. Just like our bodies need rest, our face also needs time to relax- especially your pores. Not only is the makeup clogging your pores, but it also is putting bacteria right onto your pillow case, which will only cause more breakouts and irritations.