Stop Using Makeup That Test On Animals

Stop Using Makeup Brands That Still Test On Animals

There is no reason that we should still be investing in companies that are not cruelty-free in 2018.

124
Photo by Kaboompics.com from Pexels

Because of the popularity of cosmetic brands such as NARS, Bobbi Brown, Maybelline, MAC, Benefit, and more, many people assume that these brands are cruelty-free. This is a common misconception due to lack of knowledge of what is really going on behind the scenes.

media0.giphy.com

NARS was once a cruelty-free brand, but at the beginning of 2018, they decided to join the Chinese market, where animal testing is mandatory by law for foreign cosmetics.

Bobbi Brown makes an effort to sound as if they try to restrain from animal testing, however, their products are sold in China and are therefore subject to animal testing.

Maybelline falls into the same category as NARS and Bobbi Brown, as they sell their products in China, thus not being cruelty-free.

MAC is perhaps one of the most popular and most used cosmetic brands by makeup gurus all over the internet. At one point, MAC was cruelty-free, and many people are ignorant about their policy change. MAC is owned by Estée Lauder, whose policy is to be cruelty-free unless required by law. Because MAC is being sold in China, where animal testing is required by law, they are not a cruelty-free brand.

Benefit Cosmetics also sells their products widely across Sephora stores in China and shows no interest in stopping anytime soon. Because they are actively involved in the Chinese market, Benefit is not a cruelty-free brand.

media1.giphy.com

Now that the most loved and popular makeup brands have been exposed for their willingness to test on animals, let's talk about brands that can be used to replace them.

NARS has various cruelty free alternatives that are just as high quality as NARS. Some replacement brands are Stila, Kat Von D, Marc Jacobs, and Smashbox. These brands are still extremely supported by makeup gurus and work just as well as products from NARS.

Gel eyeliner is one of the most bought items from Bobbi Brown, but there are brands who are cruelty-free that sell almost identical items. The Tarte Clay Pot Waterproof Shadow Liner and the Colourpop Crème Gel Colour are great alternatives to the gel liner from Bobbi Brown.

Maybelline is one of the best-known drugstore brands. Because it is cheaper than most brands sold at Sephora and Ulta, but still of good quality, it is most peoples go-to brand. Wet n Wild is another affordable drugstore brand with a ton of great options similar to Maybelline.

MAC is known as one of the best high-end brands by makeup artists and YouTubers all over the internet. Makeup Geek is a cruelty-free brand that can match MAC eyeshadows, while Wet n Wild and NYX have plenty of great shade dupes of MAC lipsticks are way more affordable.

Benefit Cosmetics is known for their adorable packaging, which is what initially draws most people in. If it is the cute, detailed packaging that makes you love Benefit, check out theBalm Cosmetics! This is a cruelty-free brand that has A1 packaging.

media2.giphy.com

It is 2018. There is no reason we should be supporting companies who believe that animal testing is okay. Especially when there are so many cruelty-free alternatives. Stop buying products from brands that test on animals just because they are trendy and popular. There are plenty of other options out there that will make you look awesome, and help save some cute little animals.