How To Make Your Winter Days Not So Dreary

Seven ways to boost your mood during the winter months.

148
Mary Beth Flores

I don't know about you guys but the winter months are long and sad. I for one was made for sunshine and warm weather so November through February are particularly hard as I am sure they are for all of you. I cannot name anyone who actually enjoys walking to class in the Arctic Tundra. Here are some ways you can bring some sunshine and happiness to these cold dreary days!

1. Get some bright colored Pens

This is a recent discovery of mine and might seem somewhat childish but wow is it effective. Nothing is more satisfying then writing a beautiful page of notes in different bright colors. This might not be a plane ticket to California but it might make you happier!

2. Switch up your music

I tend to listen to my ten thousand acoustic indie playlists in the fall and winter, but recently to boost my mood walking to class I'll throw a game changer and play my spring break playlist or anything that reminds me of the beach. This is a very simple way to trick your mind into thinking you're walking on sand instead of muddy slush.

3. Watch some Docuseries

Yes, I did just found out what a Docuseries is (a documentary-style TV series.) I recommend Blue Planet & Planet Earth. I absolutely love relaxing and watching Blue Planet not only are all of the episodes about the ocean but they feature some pretty adorable animals.

4. Flowers

Sadly, my lifelong dream of having a gigantic garden and sunflower field is not fulfilled yet, but a simple way to brighten someone's day or your own is flowers. Meijer has small bouquets for $6 and Whole Foods also puts some of their flowers on sale for a good price! For me, dorm life puts a damper on real flowers, but I still put fake flowers around my dorm and pretend they're real!

5. Old Pictures and Videos

Sometimes I get nostalgic looking at past summer pictures and videos. An easy way to channel that energy creatively is to either print out the pictures for my room or make a compilation of the videos on a video software (find your inner Indy Blue.)

6. Your Screen Saver

Unfortunately, phones travel with us wherever we go and are constantly one of the things we look at the most. Switch up your screen saver to a positive quote, funny meme, a collage of your favorite pictures or cute animals. Every time you look at your phone you will see a funny or cute pic that will instantly boost your mood.

7. Wear bright colors

Winter time usually brings out the black, gray and navy shades of clothing during the winter. Although you probably wear a black or grey parka don't let this stop you from wearing bright colors underneath. On my longest days (most likely Monday) I try to wear one of my tie-dye or yellow shirts to brighten up my day a little more!

Hope you enjoyed, 143 days left until Summer!