Make Reading Your New Year's Resolution!

7
McKenna Britton

A coworker once asked me what a few of my favorite things were.

I promptly and confidently responded: vegetables, books, and tea. He then proceeded to question my literary taste, urging me to disclose to him my favorite novels. When I told him how I adore Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, he looked at me closely and murmured that he had never heard of the book I hold so dear.

Immediately, my disposition changed.

It was like a punch to the gut. It made me so sad to think that such a book had never graced his presence. I urged him to read like a madman, to pick up books and ravish in them as if they were fine desserts. I urge you, dear reader, to do the same. This New Year, make reading your resolution.

Need more encouragement? Here are a few reasons why I implore you to pick up a new book come January 1st.

1) Reading can be relaxing.

Love to lounge at the beach? Take a book with you. Love to take relaxing bubble baths? Bring a book in with you (just make sure not to drop it amongst the suds). When I've had a painfully long day at school or at work, my favorite method of relaxation is to lay in bed with a cup of tea sitting on my nightstand, a new book in my hand. Something about reading - the way I get lost in the story, the way my mind seems to shut off and focus only on the words and characters in front of me - is much more relaxing than watching a show on Netflix. Pick up a book like Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close and ease further down into your relaxing bubble bath.

2) Reading can be fun, I promise.

As an English and History double-major at university, I understand that many folks assume that reading is boring and no fun. After reading textbook after textbook (who am I kidding - after skimming textbook after textbook), the idea of picking up another thick book to read can be lackluster and discouraging. If you choose the right novel, the right collection of poems, though, you can have all the fun in the world getting lost amongst the storyline. One of my favorite fun novels is technically a children's book, but the story is captivating nonetheless. Pick up Howl's Moving Castle by Dianna Wynne Jones, and be transported to a whole new world this New Year.

3) Reading can be encouraging when you're going through tough times.

Some of my favorite kinds of books are memoirs. It's so comforting to read the words of women and men alike who have lived through their twenties, and have learned so much that they want to share with their readers. Reading eye-witness accounts of the struggles of young adulthood, and gaining advice from these authors can be an incredibly encouraging experience. One of the most encouraging memoirs I have read recently is Lena Dunham's Not That Kind of Girl, a collection of essays detailing her travels through young adulthood.

4) Reading can bring you new friendships and can bring you closer to the friends you love.

One of my favorite things to talk about with my best friends is books - I've even lent out a few of my favorite novels to coworkers and acquaintances alike, encouraging conversation about our favorite characters and scenes. It's really caused my friendships to grow, in the most beautiful ways! One of the books I am constantly recommending to my friends is A.S. King's Please Ignore Vera Dietz. An easy young adult read, it's the perfect conversation starter with a strikingly unique plot.