Make It Happen

Make It Happen

"You don't need a plan; you just need to be present."

9
Make It Happen

When you are young, free spirited, and not attending school, you find yourself with more time than you should. I attempted the “college thing” for a solid three semesters, but nothing ever clicked. I found myself skipping classes to enjoy a sunny day at the park, hanging out in a coffee shop, or even just writing in my dorm room. Being in class seemed to diminish my spirit and I felt like my time was being wasted away. Granted, that’s how most students feel at some point, but I am a firm believer in following your intuition, If you truly believe you are in the wrong place… you are most likely the wrong place.

After making the decision to depart from the academic world; I found myself even more at a loss than I was in school. I was painfully unsure of what my next step was and my thought process continually lead me to… “What now?” Through time, I’ve learned this is one of the most exciting places to be. Having no plan allows the flexibility to learn, create, and experience more. Your able to say, “Of course I’ll help you move to Orlando!” or “Yes, I’d love to drive all they way to LA with you guys!” (Just a few of my most exciting examples.)

Author Bob Goff says,

“You don't need a plan; you just need to be present.”

HELL. YEAH. These words encouraged me through a dry season in life. All I did was work as a barista and hang out. My days became slower and it was harder to get myself out of bed. I know that I am not the only one who has been in this boat, but it seemed I was waiting for some magical thing to come knocking on my door and hand me everything I ever wanted.

News flash: this never happened. But something eventually clicked, I realized if I put myself out in the open and showed up to my daily life, did all the basic things well, I would eventually end up somewhere, in a new adventure.

I found myself being offered opportunities to do things that were interesting and exciting. I worked as production assistant on an independent film, ‘The Town in the Middle of Nowhere’. And offered more jobs in the entertainment business. This means long hours and little sleep... But if you are a well rested young adult, you're probably not pursuing your dreams hard enough.

Whether, or not, you are a student, always be available to put yourself out there and go for the things you want to accomplish. I am nowhere near the label as a successful person, but I do believe that I am on the path to something great. And it is because I decided to get up out of bed and do the mundane things of life well.