How Other Majors See Pre-Med Students

How Other Majors See Pre-Med Students

Bio 101 is what God sent down instead of the plague.

119
How Other Majors See Pre-Med Students
Lynette / Flickr

Never would I have thought that I'd be at a place in my life where about 80% of the people I associate with are majoring in biology or chemistry to follow a career in medicine. Hunter really gives us English majors no choice; every other person we meet in our first semester gen-eds is medicine-oriented and already dreading their pre-med path. Freshman year consists of essays and required math classes and listening to all of your friends talk about nursing program acceptances. I'm assuming junior year is going to be an overwhelming cry of med school applications. That is, of course, if y'all actually make it through organic chemistry.

I first realized how bad chem and bio classes at Hunter are when I looked at the crowd of students pouring out of Hunter North's lecture hall. I've never seen a group of people laughing so hard that their laughter sounds more like hysterical crying and sure, that's like the entire college student aesthetic but STEM students probably invented that look anyway. It only gets more intense if you happen to be standing by the lecture hall doors on the day of an exam because there's the guarantee that the moment a student walks out after completing whatever hell they were forced into two hours ago, the first words out of their mouth are going to be "well, shit." Who knew staring at an atomic model for too long could drain all the hope out of you?

Spoiler alert, I did, because looking at notes from a pre-med student's notebook is like trying to read the plans for a nuclear bomb. Between pictures of cells and the horror that is the periodic table, I've made a point to avoid all of my friend's notebooks. The only thing I can't avoid is the group panic of all the med students around me, frantic and panicked and all studying for the same test, complaining about the same professor. The funniest thing is that this panic is only rivaled by one thing: the fear pre-med students feel when their English 120 professor assigns an essay. Oh how the tables have turned.