You Are Only The Main Character In Your Own Life
Self Love

It's a hard truth to face, but in everyone else's life, you are only a background character.

2565
https://unsplash.com/photos/HRZUzoX1e6w

You are the main character in your own life.

This is an obvious truth.

The not so obvious truth is the fact that you are a background character in everyone else's life.

Imagine this. You are getting dressed one morning, deciding whether or not you want to wear red pants, because you are afraid of what other people think. You're worried people are going to judge you, or pass comments on your red pants, or point you out to their friends and talk about you and think about you and your red pants all day long.

Here is the honest truth. This won't happen.

We are quick to worry about what others think of us and assume that other people care much, much more than they actually do because we are the main character in our own lives. To us, we are the most important. You are the star of your own show, dedicated to you for your entire life, with hundreds of thousands of people as background characters. This holds true for you, it holds true for me, it holds true for the person who made your coffee order today or the girl you saw in the grocery store.

Do you know what this truth means? It means that literally, no one cares.

No one cares if you wear the red pants.

No one cares if you cut your hair or get a tattoo or post an Instagram picture with a different edit than usual.

We might think that people care because we don't realize that we are only background characters in other people's lives.

As your temporary, honorary internet spokesperson, I am here to tell you this: since no one cares, you should just do whatever it is that you want to do.

Post two times a day. Three times a day. Seven times a day. Document your life unapologetically. Go through radical changes. Go through subtle changes. Literally just do whatever it is that you want to do because yes, people might think about it for a second. They might stop and show their friend a picture and say "oh, look, _____ went skydiving today" or "____ got a nose piercing". And that will be the end of it. And they will move on. And the next day they will not even remember it.

You are the main character in your own life. So write your own story. Do not let others dictate your novel. Background characters are in the background for a reason.