Magnificent Seven Film Review

After seeing this movie, I feel like taking the biggest cigar I can find, along with the biggest cowboy hat I can get, strap on some gun belts with NERF guns holstered in and ride off into the sunset in my car. I will then be properly mocked, but that doesn’t matter because I will feel like a modern day cowboy! That’s what this movie does to ya with its intense fights, colorful cast of characters and guns. So many guns. But enough of me fantasying, let me tell you why this movie is good.

First of all, the action was definitely intense. Before any fight broke out, there would always be tension in the air. Who’s going to draw first? Will he live? Or die? The slow moments before the guns started blaring were my favorite scenes to see because someone’s life could be gone before you knew it. The gunfights were fun in how each character could show their own flare even though all of them ended up using guns at some point. Chris Pratt’s character Josh Faraday was a trickster who used cards to fool his opponents. Red Harvest, an Indian played by Martin Sensmeier, stayed on rooftops killing with his bow, showing that the gun doesn’t make the man. And my favorite, Billy, played by actor Lee Byung-hun, was a ninja cowboy. That’s fricking awesome.

While I feel all the characters had their moment to shine during combat, outside of that there was some imbalance. When they were recruiting people to join them to help them kill the main villain, Bogue, some of the main seven didn’t have a reason to join. Jack Horne and Red Harvest especially. It seemed like they join just because they had nothing better to do.

There are also the flaws that I have seem with many hero group movies. Not all characters get much development, bad guy is forgettable but now I think that comes with the territory when it comes to movies like these. You will get what you came for in spades when you watch Magnificent Seven. I would recommend this movie to any action fan out there who loves seeing a ragtag group of heroes come together to beat the big bad.