Chance the Rapper's Magnificent Coloring Day

Lil Chano Changing the Game from 79th

6
Kayla Smith

When you begin to think about your favorite music artists, who comes to mind? How have they influenced you? What do they represent?

This past weekend, Chance the Rapper sold out an entire Chicago baseball stadium for a one day music festival, The Magnificent Coloring Day. I was lucky enough to have been in the pit beside the stage of huge artists such as John Legend, Alicia Keys, Skrillex, Tyler the Creator, Young Thug, 2 Chainz, Lil Wayne, along with an incredible special guest, Kanye West. Many of the largest faces of entertainment were performing all in one day, feet in front of me. With an amazing performance from Chance, I felt as if I had been in a dream for 12 hours. Chance set new records for the stadium, holding the first concert booked at U.S. Cellular Field in 13 years while also breaking the attendance record. This guy literally had people paying for tickets to sit behind the stage, without seeing anything but screens.

However, what I want to discuss is not the concert or the huge celebrities that I was lucky enough to see, but the overall change that Chance is about to sweep over our culture. At one point in this 12 hour event, I had started chatting with a huge fan of Chance. As we continued talking, she proceeded to look at me and say, "Seriously, I'm atheist and Chance makes me want to believe." That isn't an average statement you hear at a huge music festival. It's actually the last thing you hear around this type of music genre.

So, not only does Chance make amazing music that touches this generation, but he is proud to represent his passion for God. In an interview Chance was asked what he thought God meant to the today's youth from his personal experiences. Lil Chano then stated, “I still think that God means everything to everyone whether they understand it or not or can really see it for themselves or they find God. I know for a fact we’re not pushed or promoted to speak about God with fervor. I don’t think there’s anything that really allows us to do it as so. But I think the new generation and the forward is all about freedom and all about the ability to do what we want. We’re not free unless we can talk about God.”

Chance does not state that he is perfect, nor does his music. However, he makes sure to let his audience know that he rejoices in God. He is a new wave of diverse gospel in an area of our culture that has seemed to shun away religion, promoting opposite concepts.

If you aren't aware, Chance does not sell his music. He wants people to hear his messages, regardless of the cost. He's not signed by a label like other huge artists, this 23 year old basically makes all of his money through merchandise. So did my friends and I regret spending as much as we did on his amazing merchandise at the avenue? Nope. In fact, I regret not buying more.

I have been to multiple concerts, and I have never seen such a genuine artist. I was feet away from Chance, and I cannot count the number of times I watched him stop and stare in awe into his hometown stadium, packed with thousands of people.

Not only does Chance put on a spectacular show, but he also held a strong, underlining meaning behind his newest album, Coloring Book, while also tying together his former hits. Chance hasn't set out to make gospel or pretend to be "new" gospel, but instead he is just writing his music as a Christian man.

This artist is bringing in elements of Christianity into our music culture, and that has the power to effect us as a nation in more we realize. It is a weird idea to think about the impact that can be made from a different religious standpoint. However, each decade changes, entertainment is influential. If you don't believe me take a look back into the 70s, 80s, 90s, etc. How does music of past decades represent the time period? Was it swayed by the people and music just followed the norms or is it that artists influence America's social changes? It's possible that the music industry can push our youth towards a revolutionary change of hearts and actions. It may just begin with a strong, talented, and genuine artist.

I think we can all hope that Lil Chano from 79th continues to inspire others. Here's to a new generation, a new imagine in the music industry, and to The Best Day Ever at The Magnificent Coloring Day. Thank you Chance, for knowing your blessings and reminding others of theirs.