5 Marks of Adulthood to be on the Lookout for

We all know that our parents can do things we can't. I'm sure you remember being a kid and dressing up in your parent's clothing to feel fancy or learning things like how to swim or how to ride a bike. There are some steps to adulthood we consciously take like getting a credit card, moving out, learning to cook, etc. But there are some that I think just "happen" as we reach adulthood.

Popping your gum

Cher from Clueless with gum

You blew bubbles as a kid, but as an adult, you realize there must be a more sophisticated way of playing with your gum. This may not seem like an adult thing to many people, but I JUST NOW learned how to pop my gum and I'm 20 years old. It truly feels like a landmark of my adult-ness.

Having staple groceries

Woman putting everything in her cart at grocery store

As a kid, you just ate whatever your parents bought for you, but now that you're an adult you get to choose the groceries you want. You begin to get the brands you like, your favorite flavors, and really only the food you actually enjoy eating. For example, I have certain staple foods, and one of them is Simply Jif Creamy Peanut Butter—it's low sugar, and high peanut butter taste. My parents still buy the regular Jif Creamy Peanut Butter, which now tastes like candy to me because it's SO sweet!

Cooking the right amount of noodles

Guy Fieri eating a noodle

I once had a woman tell me that if you touch your thumb to your pointer finger, that is how much spaghetti to cook for two people. But how much macaroni? Bowties? Shells? I definitely have not mastered this one.

Choosing the right size of Tupperware

too much spaghetti in a tupperware bowl Giphy

I'm slowly but surely getting better at this one, but I definitely struggle with choosing the right size of Tupperware container. I always knowingly go larger than necessary (because I don't want to overfill the container), but I accidentally always go WAY larger than necessary (like... three times too large). Not sure how to learn this one.

Wearing sensible clothing

woman wearing high heels on a treadmill

You don't wear the 4-inch heels on the night out, and you actually wear a jacket during the winter. It's not something you needed to be taught because you knew what to wear, you just chose not to. The final mark of adulthood is realizing that sensible clothing trumps style. Every. Time.

I admit I have not mastered all of these, but I expect they will come with time.