"Made In China"

"Made In China"

An original poem

8
"Made In China"
Stephen Dwyer

After watching the debates and hearing arguments made by each candidates I started considering what a kid might think about this election. We have probably all seen that commercial where the kids are sitting in front of the t.v and they hear the outrageous things that Trump has said, but that is just a commercial. No parent in their right mind would sit a five year old in front of the t.v and play that, but it does make you think about what they are taking away from different issues in politics and the economy. After all, kids are the ones that will be most affected by what we choose now.

While listening to one of the debates, I heard the candidates talking about companies moving to China and shipping their products to the U.S to sell. Since the labor is cheaper in China, the company can make their product there and send it here to sell it at a greater profit than if the product had been made in the US. Toys are mostly made in China and almost every child has had that toy that says “Made in China” on the bottom. I know I had plenty, and I can remember asking why they were all made in China. Eventually it was explained to me, but as a kid, politics and economics can be so confusing.

This poem is written from a child’s point-of-view. There is a lot of dialogue that shows you just how companies moving factories to other countries can affect the lives of those in the middle class and lower. This little child is simply curious about why their toy is made in china. Desperate to know why, they ask their teacher and parents. The answer is a hard truth to swallow for the parents, and the child touches at the wounds his parents suffer after being left without work. The child pieces together the horrible truth about their favorite toy, which is that “it is cheaper that way”.

Made in China

My favorite toy

An action figure

I carried it everywhere

Around my house

In my backpack at school

“Made in China”

That is what was written on its foot.

I ask my teacher.

She says that my toy came from there.

“Why?”

She sighs, looking at me,

“It's cheaper that way”

I ask my mom.

“Why is my toy made in China?”

She told me that the factory moved there.

She is making Craft mac and cheese again tonight.

I love the cartoon ones the best.

“Why?”

Tears on her cheek,

She says that it's cheaper that way.

I ask my dad.

“Why do companies move to China?”

He said “So they can pay less.”

“Why?”

He frowns, “It's cheaper that way”

“Why?”

“They can pay people less for work”

He circles something in the newspaper.

“Is that why you had to stop working?”

He nods, lips pressed and eyes down,

“It's cheaper for them that way.”

My favorite toy is made in China

Because it is cheaper that way.