Owning Scrunchies Doesn't Make Me A 'VSCO Girl'

I Wear Scrunchies And Own A Hydro Flask Because I Like Them, That Doesn't Make Me A 'VSCO Girl'

Yeah, I have a Hydro Flask and use scrunchies, but it's because they work well for their intended purposes.

587
Personal Photo

This 'VSCO girl' thing really has me fuming lately.

I know it's just a joke that stemmed from TikTok or Twitter or something, but it's just really stupid. It is ridiculous to assume that people make certain decisions about their lives because they want to emulate a certain stereotype, it just straight up doesn't make sense.

And where exactly did "and I oop" and "sksksksksk" come from?

I don't understand why some of us feel the need to make fun of or label people for liking popular or "trendy" items.

I hear that Birkenstocks are really comfortable and that when you buy a pair it comes with a lifetime warranty for the sole of the shoe.

Tapestries are a really fun and easy way to decorate a big and empty wall.

I own a Hydro Flask, which I've owned for over a year, far before 'VSCO girl' was even a whisper of a thought. My dad actually got it for me, because he uses them when he goes backpacking and on camping trips. And guess what? They keep water cold for like 24 hours, which is incredibly convenient when I'm out of the house from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.

I also own, and proudly use, scrunchies. Regular elastic hairbands are actually bad for your hair, cause breakage, and leave that awful "ponytail bump" when you take them out that is impossible to undo. Scrunchies cause less wear and tear on your hair, hurt less, and can also double as cute wrist accessories when they're not actually in your hair.

I feel dumb for writing this, but it's about much more than Hydro Flasks and scrunchies if I'm being honest. It's about contemplating when and why we all became so judgmental - because it's so unnecessary.

Listen, the point is, maybe we should stop criticizing people for liking the things that they like. It turns out that popular items become popular because they work well and are of good quality. The world would be a much better place if we could all mind our own business, encourage self-expression, and let everyone enjoy what they want to enjoy.