Mac Miller Saved Us All. In The End, He Couldn't Save Himself
popular

Mac Miller, You Saved Us All. I'm So Sorry We Couldn't Save You

"The number one reason why people give up so fast is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, instead of how far they've gotten." - Mac Miller

305251

Mac Miller,

You're now in the whirlwind of musicians who have passed far too soon. While many of these artists' deaths were brought to us by surprise, yours hit much harder than most.

You have changed the way so many of us defined rap music and rap culture. You have changed the way we see ourselves. You have changed the way we see life. Your music defined you, where you came from and what you were trying to overcome. Your music helped us get through hard times in our lives.

You were real.

You showcased real issues that you and so many people in this world face. You have saved so many people... and we are so sorry that we couldn't save you.

It's not even just your fans' lives whom you've touched. So many famous artists were also deeply hurt when the news of your passing was released. You served as a mentor for Chance the Rapper, helping him initiate his professional career. You were an inspiration to Post Malone during his high school years.

You were there for many when they dealt with difficult times in their lives, including G-Eazy, Macklemore, Earl Sweatshirt and so many more. Warner Bros. Music also released a statement expressing how heavy their hearts are to hear of you no longer being here with us.

Your music and your words helped so many people with their own lives.

When it came to the topics of drugs, depression, anxiety, and so many more gut-wrenching categories, you reached out. You supported your fans, just as we all supported you. You gave a reason for effort, a reason for smiles and a reason for living. Your song "Life Ain't Easy" helped your fans understand that there is a purpose to life even when it gets hard, that we all have things to offer and the ability to change the world.

"Tell 'em to believe, they be making it big
And I know
That life is nothing easy (nothing easy)
One day, I'm a change the world
And they'll finally believe me."
— Mac Miller

Your newest album, "Swimming," also helped us feel so connected with you emotionally. As you encouraged yourself to keep your spirits up, you also encouraged us to do the same when it comes to different struggles we may face, including relationships, lack of self-love, or judgment from others.

You made your life relatable to ours.

You put yourself in our shoes. You related to all of us by putting your own struggles in the spotlight. That's brave and it also takes such a toll on a person.

As a celebrity, you lose all of your privacy. Everything you did was followed by paparazzi. You couldn't have a private relationship without social media blowing up and the world finding every way possible to nestle up into your love life. I can't imagine the stress and the anxiety that is brought upon celebrities, but specifically upon you, due to the lack of privacy and a personal life.

You were judged for every single thing you did: every mistake, every decision, every album drop. But even then, no matter what you faced, you still spread positivity, encouragement, and smiles.

"No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile."
— Mac Miller

Unfortunately, you suffered from something that so many people do: addiction. From abusing drugs as early as age 15, you grew to continue using lean, promethazine and cocaine.

First, I want you to know that we are all so proud of you for the efforts that you made in reaching sobriety. It's not easy and it's definitely not a leap that most addicts are willing to take. In your 12-minute documentary, "Stop Making Excuses," with The FADER, you opened up about your addiction.

You even stated, "Overdosing is just not cool. There's no legendary romance. You don't go down in history because you overdosed. You just die."

I'm not going to lie, watching that and hearing you say those piercing words after the internet exploded with the news of your overdose left a pretty deep gash in my heart. I wish you took your own words that you wanted all of your fans to follow. I wish you had the help that you needed to survive and took the opportunities to get better when you had the chance.

However, although nobody can take away this heavy-hearted loss, we can make you proud by living out the lives that you wanted for us. You can live through the free spirits of your fans as we all continue on with the legacy that you left behind. We will continue to watch rap culture change as we remember the one who sparked change in the first place.

As badly as we all wish we could've saved you, we couldn't. And we are so sorry about that. You should also know that we forgive you. You touched the lives of so many and we are so lucky to have been able to watch you grow in your music and in your life.

Thank you for saving so many of us. And despite the fact that you were taken too soon, your message, your spirit, and your inspiration will live on. You are a true legend and an icon to us all. May you rest in peace and have the happiest of celebrations in the skies. Look over us, Mac. We'll miss you.

"The hardest thing is to forgive, but God does...
God loves, take one step toward him, he'll take two toward you,
even when all else fails, God'll support you."
— Mac Miller