6 Ways The LSAT Will Surprise You When You Actually Take It

The best way to conquer the LSAT is by knowing what it actually entails.

463
Petersons

After taking the LSAT for the first time this past weekend, I realized that there were a few surprises about it that I wasn't entirely ready for. Now, of course, I can't tell you exactly what was on the February LSAT. I will, however, provide you with a list of 6 specific ways that the LSAT will likely end up surprising you if you aren't prepared enough. Hopefully, you will take each of the following items to heart as you prepare for what will be one of the biggest life changers you will ever experience.

1. You'll realize that you've probably been studying the wrong way this entire time.

If there's one regret I have after taking the LSAT, it's that I made the mistake of buying the wrong book to study from entirely.

Last May, I explored the "LSAT Prep" section of Barnes and Noble thinking that the thickest LSAT prep book would the BEST one to invest in.

I was wrong.

On the contrary, the first book I ended up purchasing was a bad investment for 2 reasons:

1) It was by Kaplan rather than LSAC (which is actually the company responsible for administering the LSAT).

2) Despite the fact that it was so thick, the content of the book was more strategy-based than anything.

In other words, the first book I bought gave in-depth instructions on HOW to solve common LSAT problems. However, it lacked the extent of problems necessary to get the human brain used to thinking in the same ways that the creators of the LSAT expect it to think.

Solutions:

If you decide to invest in any kind of book to prepare for the LSAT, make sure that the one you end up purchasing:

-Contains numerous LSAT practice tests (the LSAT is designed EXACTLY like them, only with different problem variables). The more practice tests you do, the more prepared you'll be.

-Was designed by LSAC (they are the ones who administer the LSAT after all).

2. You'll realize you should have gone into the test already woken up hours beforehand.

In other words, you'll likely end up going into the test an hour or so after you've woken up.

DO NOT MAKE THIS MISTAKE!

The LSAT isn't a long test, but it certainly has its ways of challenging your brain to think much differently than it usually does.

That's why your brain will need to be fully awake and not still entangled in cobwebs from the night before.

Solutions:

About 2-3 hours before you are expected to take the LSAT, do whatever it takes to wake up your entire body. Wash your face, eat a good breakfast, do absolutely anything you can to give yourself a head start on functioning.

Also, even if you are nervous about taking the LSAT, you'll need to get a restful sleep the night before. If that means tiring yourself out right before you go to bed so that you'll actually want to go to bed, do it. Trust me, you'll be grateful you did.

3. Even if you're taking the LSAT on a familiar campus, you'll likely end up struggling to find the testing center.

Honestly, if it weren't for someone tagging along with me (and finding the testing center), I would have been late for the LSAT. Despite the fact that I took it at UCF (which is a campus that I am already very familiar with), the testing room was located in a building that I had absolutely no clue existed on campus. It was a building that was directly behind another, and it took my friend and me about 15 minutes to find.

I think we got to the testing center with about 5 minutes to spare, thank God!

Solutions:

Believe LSAC when they tell you that you should plan on arriving at your testing center 30 minutes before the LSAT is administered.

Better yet, arrive 45 minutes before, because you will get stuck scrambling to find the testing center if you've never actually been to it before.

4. You'll get a 15-minute break...After about an hour and 45 minutes of taking the LSAT.

That's right, we're big kids now (as my mom told me). In other words, we're no longer allowed to take 5 minutes to stretch out after every section of this standardized test.

Solutions:

On the contrary, expect to work through 3 full sections of the LSAT before you are permitted to take a 15-minute break. That means your brain is going to have to stay in LSAT mode for about an hour and 45 minutes before it can take a breather!

Again, please make sure to get a good night's sleep prior to taking the LSAT.

You're going to need it!

5. Time goes by faster than you think.

The reality is, you only have about 35 minutes to finish 5 sections that are about 20-25 questions each.

While this may seem very doable right now, you'll certainly have a very different opinion on Test Day.

Solutions:

Take plenty of TIMED practice tests! Like I said, get a book that contains nothing but practice tests and DO THEM.

6. You'll wish you would have worn comfier clothes and your hair completely up and away from your face.

I took the LSAT in one of the comfiest dresses I had, and I still wish I had worn sweatpants and a T-shirt. I also kept having to move my hair out of my face throughout the entire test, and that only took away time that I could have been focusing on answering questions.

Solutions:

Wear sweatpants and a T-shirt. Seriously.

You might even want to consider wearing your pajamas (no joke).

And ladies, please, please, PLEASE make sure to wear your hair up and away from your face.

Overall, my favorite part about taking the LSAT was the relief I got after realizing that it wasn't as scary (or as difficult) as everyone had made it out to be. It really isn't, as long as you're prepared for what it actually entails.

Don't dread it, be confident and ready to conquer it!

Soon, you'll be on your way to the next chapter of your beautiful life: LAW SCHOOL!