Loves and Hates of Restaurant Work

Loves and Hates of Restaurant Work

33
Loves and Hates of Restaurant Work

Working in the restaurant industry is a torturous adventure that leaves one in tears but allows for that same person to walk away with new found skills and a feeling of content. It takes a little while to get into the swing of working in a kitchen or with the masses of people who stroll through eating facilities everyday. As someone who has worked in this industry, I've picked up on a couple things that are to love and are to hate when it comes to food.

The tips are a life saver. This part of the job is probably one of the best offers that comes from signing away your life to wiping down tables and dealing with random people for hours on end. Even working in an establishment that isn't as popular as others, tips are still a great way to get a little extra cash in your pocket by the end of the night. Of course there are people out there who don't like the idea of tipping or don't believe that they have to, but every once in a while a friendly face comes around and leaves the pleasant surprise of over twenty percent on your table.

The people that are encountered in the food industry come in many shapes and sizes. Everyone has a certain way they like to prepare their meal when they go out. Simple changes to certain items on menus are no big deal. Like if someone needs something taken out for dietary reasons or they're allergic to substance that is in a dish, it is fine to ask for some tampering to be done. When people are overly picky, it becomes a real pain. There are extreme requests that come from people that just make you want to scream in their face to eat at home. You can't do that of course or else you'll lose your job... but sometimes it's difficult to keep it all together.

The smell of food on your skin for hours or even days after getting off a long shift is, at times, nauseating. It doesn't matter how many times you scrub your hands or wash your hair, you'll probably still smell like a deep fryer until the next morning.

The resume building skills that are acquired while working at a restaurant are immense. Not only are leadership and team building capabilities strengthened, but so are customer service and communication skills heightened. Having to work in situations with people who may or may not know what they're doing when they walk through the front doors is something that people in the restaurant industry have to deal with daily. Being able to work with people to figure out what they need and to help find a suitable alternative to an issue is something that comes along with working with people in a restaurant. Also being able to work as a cohesive team to make sure a dinner rush ends well is a great ability that can be transferred into any type of work situation in the future.

The positives seemingly out weigh the negatives in this case, but food industry work can be tough at times. It is all a learning experience which takes patience. After figuring out a groove and letting the chips fall, working with food doesn't end up being a terrible as everyone makes it out to be.