A Day Of Love: Celebrate Beyond Romance

A Day Of Love: Celebrate Beyond Romance

Philia, storge, philautia, agape-- if you don't know them, you're missing out.

81
A Day Of Love: Celebrate Beyond Romance

If you read my previous article, then you know I'm not a huge fan of Valentine's Day. If you haven't read it, I'll restate my opinion: Valentine's Day is treated as a magical fix-all day of love, but if you really love someone you should show it all year. As much as I would love to rant some more, I'm not going to beat a dead horse.

Instead, I'm going to talk about the different ways to celebrate love on Valentine's Day, if you really feel like it's a day of love. To start with, there is so much more to love than being in a romantic relationship. According to the ancient Greeks, there are eight kinds (but I'll only talk about the four that don't rely on romance): philia, the love between friends; storge, the love between family members; philautia, the unconditional, healthy love of yourself; and agape, the selfless love for the greater good.

Even if you're single, there's still love to be celebrated.

Even if you're in a committed relationship, there are other loves to celebrate.

If you want Valentine's Day to be a day of love, make it something special. Maybe you'll find you like this kind of love more.

If you want to celebrate philia, go out with friends and celebrate Singles Awareness Day by treating each other to a movie, a dinner, a bar, or a local arcade or mini-golf place. Grow the bond with your best friend(s) because they'll always be there for you, even if a flaky romantic partner won't be.

If you're in a relationship, go out with other couples (or enough single friends so they don't feel like they're tagging along on a gross relationship). Take a baking or painting class together, make a group meal at someone's place, play party games until you know a little too much about each other.

If you want to celebrate storge, spend the day with your family. Make them a meal or a dessert, see what chores can be done, watch a movie or a TV show together. My mother has a cute sign in the kitchen that reads, "We start and end with family."

For the most part, it's true. Your parents (hopefully) helped raise you, and your siblings were (likely) some of your first experiences with other kids. Family is important to who you are, and unless you're on bad terms with them, showing them your appreciation is always a good idea.

If you want to celebrate philautia, take the day for yourself.

Tell your friends and family that today is all about you and self-care, and stick to that. Take a warm bath, eat some ice cream in bed with your favorite show or movie, and unwind. Philautia is taking care of yourself and learning to love yourself more, so try on some outfits and go out somewhere if you want, just be careful to not confuse philautia with narcissism. This is loving yourself in the healthiest way and taking care of yourself, not thinking you're better than everybody else. Show yourself some love by being kind, even if you don't really think you deserve it.

If you want to celebrate agape, find a local volunteer organization and spend the day there, do little acts of kindness by paying forward at stores or donating things to a shelter.

If you have the money and want to, buy flowers to give to random people. It could make someone's day, or it could just be a passing gesture of kindness that they smile about in their dark times. Maybe it'll inspire them to do something kind for a stranger, too. Doing good for the love of good or the love of people is the best way we can display agape, and there are plenty of opportunities to do it.

But, really, do you need a specific day to do it? Is one day in the entire year enough time to show the love for your friends, your family, yourself, or others? Maybe if you try this, you'll want to do it more because love is a beautiful thing meant to be shared with the world every day of the year, not just on February 14th.