Why I Write

Why I Write

With all the stresses in the world, I found my sanctuary.

With the semester almost over (thank goodness), I’ve been reflecting on the past couple months. Being a full-time college student, planning a wedding, trying to maintain a social life, and somewhere in the mix sleeping, you could say I’m pretty busy. In the middle of the semester, I took on this writing job as well, as if I needed ANOTHER thing to do. Honestly, it’s one of the best choices I’ve ever made.

My dream someday is to teach some sort of creative writing class and write novels on the side. Writing has always been an underlying passion of mine that I’ve never really taken up until now. I’ve always wanted to write but told myself I was never good enough and that I should do something else. For some reason though, the writing bug bit me this semester and it’s pretty much all I can think about. Whether it’s a new article topic that I want to write or a novel idea, I’m constantly thinking of writing.

So, I finally gave into the urge. I don’t write nearly as much as I want to, due to my demanding schedule, but I write as often as I can. Writing gives me a sense of accomplishment that nothing else does. I feel like myself when I write. I’m able to express myself in a way that I never thought was possible. There is nothing better than being inspired and writing about it. One night I was trying to figure out what to write about, since deadline day was soon approaching, and BAM—an idea popped into my head. I quickly pulled up a blank Word document and the next thing I knew, I filled up a page!! I was so excited and wanted to tell someone that I wrote something, but it was 3 a.m. so I had a mini dance party by myself.

Unfortunately, there’s this thing called “Writer’s Block." I will stare at a Word document for HOURS and I will think of nothing to write about. It’s the worst feeling in the world! I’ve learned to set the piece (or the lack thereof) aside and clear my head. An idea will eventually come and the magic of writing takes over again.

Yes, I’m very busy and stressed most of the time, but I write to relieve that stress. I write to fulfill my dream. I write to become better. And most importantly, I write because I love it. The moral of the story is to do what you love. If it’s math, do it! If teaching is your dream, do it! No matter what people tell you, you should do what you love. There is nothing more fulfilling than that.