I Love My Boyfriend's Family

I Love My Boyfriend's Family

The family that is not quite mine, but makes me feel at home.
413

When I started dating my boyfriend I never realized the impact his family would be on me. I am an only child coming from a small extended family. I had only dreamed of having siblings and a huge family. Well, my boyfriend was blessed with that type of family. His family is HUGE! The first year I was just thankful they remembered my name at Christmas.

My boyfriend's family have strong traditions. To name a few, every summer they gather and celebrate the Fourth of July and family. They always go go-karting and always get kicked out for trying to spin each other off the course, go out together for creamy ice cream on a hot summer night and always have amazing BBQ (some of the best I've ever had). Then there's the original holiday season, with secret Santa and midnight mass. They took me in like I was already part of these traditions. They made me feel so welcomed from the first family gathering I attended.

A side from the traditions they always have the best stories and strongest laughter. Even though I've only been around for a couple of years, I feel like I know so much of the family by the stories they share. I can join in on the laughter because I understand the beginning. I adore to hear their laughter.

This family raised the best man. He loves me and treats me right. He is outgoing, hardworking, and very smart. He can also be very stubborn and determined. There is nothing wrong with that, except that I am the same way, so it keeps the conversation going. He also grew up making bets with his cousins to show who was right. It helps squish arguments real quick between us! He makes me laugh until my tummy hurts, and I make him laugh until he can't breathe! We have so many adventures and laughs, we can't wait to share those with the family. They've raised a family-oriented, witty young man and I am so lucky to be dating him.

My boyfriend's family is frickin' awesome. They never hesitate to hug me when I walk in the door. They genuinely enjoy my presence. They are so full of love and support it makes my heart full. They are a strong support system that never fails. They are the kind of family you see in the movies, but the difference is they are REAL. I am so thankful to have come across such an awesome group of people.

Thank you to my boyfriend's family. Thank you for accepting me. Thank you for having traditions. Thank you for being funny. Thank you for raising my boyfriend right.