Why You’ll Love Taking Kids to a U-Pick Farm

Part 2 in a Living Simply Series

14
Marissa Matsuzaki

When asked if I was happy about our family being reassigned to South Georgia, my answer was a definitive “YES.” I had friends here. We have a church. We have U-Pick Farms.

I am a former teacher raising a toddler and I love taking her on little outings. The zoo, kid’s museums, and parks are a few of our favorites. I especially love taking her to U-Pick farms when possible. For those of you who are unfamiliar, a U-Pick farm is exactly what it sounds like. You pick your own produce, usually for a reduced price, and pay when you’re done.

Normally out here I have to wait until late spring-early summer to go to the U-Pick fields or Farmer’s Market stands. On this chilly yet sunny January day, we drove to Enigma, Georgia and picked fresh strawberries at Southern Grace Farms. We first visited the farm last summer and I was impressed with how many crops we could pick from, the homemade ice cream, a quaint shop full of country goods, and a cute interactive playground made entirely out of repurposed materials. The moment you walk up to that big covered porch with whiskey-barrel planters full of flowers, you’ll know they live up to their name. Southern Grace Farms is just one of several great farms to visit in this area, but it’s the only one I know of at the moment where you can pick your own produce in January.

Here are the reasons why it’s an ideal outing with my small child:

Hands on Learning Experience: Many of our children’s books talk about farming, animals, and plants, but going out to farm allows a child to see and feel for themselves how our food comes from plants. They can see the flowers that will soon become fruit, the way crops are grown, learn how to pick the fruit, and practice following simple directions (“Come this way.” “Pick the red, leave the white.” “Fill the basket.” Etc.). It’s a great lesson in natural science in which you can show them that the plants are in an open field to get lots of sun light and the farmers have to water them.

Fresh Air and Exercise: You’ll both get a little work out walking up and down the field, bending, picking, and carrying your produce. Some farms are adding activity areas especially for kids such as a playground or petting zoo. You’ll get some vitamin D from the sun and fresh air.

Inexpensive: Who has time or money to go to every kid and tourist attraction there is out there? At a U-Pick Farm, you only pay for the produce you’re buying. You’d buy it at a grocery store anyway, but this is more fun!

Nutritious: The produce can’t get any fresher and often times it’s organic. Children are more inclined to eat things they pick themselves. You can help foster a love for quality food at an early age with this fun activity.

Supporting your community: It is so rewarding to buy local and know that you are directly helping hard working people in your community. I love shopping local and supporting small businesses. Plus, they are more personal and fun to visit anyway.

I highly recommend that anyone with kids look up U-Pick Farms in their area. Out here we have Mallory’s Farm on Bemiss, Southern Grace Farms in Enigma, Luck and Moody Peaches in Barney, and several others as you’ll see signs popping up advertising them throughout the summer. You can also find the closest farms near you by visiting www.pickyourown.org. Even if you don’t have children, it is a fun thing to do with friends or on a date. You’ll be glad you did!