I'm A Christian Who Still Loved The Live-Action Beauty And The Beast

We are in no place to judge each other on any grounds.

26
Terri Mize

In case you didn't know, a few weeks ago, Disney came out with a live-action Beauty and the Beast movie. To say I am excited is the understatement of the year. I, like so many other girls, have adored Belle since I was three and will take any chance I can get to jam out to some Disney tunes. I was also raised in a Christian home and find my faith to be a strong part of my identity, so when I am hit with any kind of controversy, I tend to consider it in terms of my faith right off the bat. When word got out that the story's infamous sidekick, Lefou, would have some obvious gay tendencies, and thousands of Christian parents lost their minds and declared war on Disney, I felt conflicted, but I did not have any trouble deciding how I felt.

The opposition toward the movie was based on the idea that homosexuality should not be represented positively in a movie geared toward children when the Bible has clearly stated that it is indeed, a sin. I will never deny this to be true, however, there was not a monstrous kickback when Ariel deliberately disobeyed her father, a sin. No one threatened to boycott Disney when Beauty and the Beast came out the first time and Gaston was extremely prideful and arrogant, more sins. The Bible tells us that all sins are equal in the eyes of God, so it is quite obvious that much of the uproar is not due to sin, but stigma and discrimination.

As Christians, we are called to love one another and treat each other as brothers and sisters in Christ. We need to encourage our brothers and sisters in their faith and lead them toward Jesus. While I cannot speak for the gay community, I am sure it is less than encouraging to see your Christian peers, colleagues, and family members writing off your lifestyle.

One of my favorite verses is Matthew 7:3, "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?". I love this because Jesus sounds sassy and it reminds me that we are in NO place to judge each other on any grounds. I have known homosexual relationships that hold more love and support than some of the heterosexual relationships in my life. Homosexual men and women have shaped so many of my experiences, and it hurts me that they can't be in a movie or even eat dinner together without the ugly remarks and hateful attitudes.

So, you can boycott Beauty and the Beast. Disney is not hurting without your money, but if you're going to do that, you may also want to check in to the corporations from which you buy your groceries, gas, clothes, etc., because it is 2017. People of all sexual orientations are going to be represented in movies. They are people made in the image of God and they deserve for their love to be realized because it is love, and after all, love is the greatest commandment.