Love Her or Hate Her, 12 Taylor Swift Songs with Lyrics that Anyone Can Relate To

Not all of Taylor Swift's songs are the songs you hear on the radio that are super catchy. A lot of her songs have really beautiful lyrics.

710
Haley Campbell

So what if Taylor Swift is having a lot of hatred following her in the media these days? She is a strong woman who has amazing songs that most girls can relate to at one point in their life. While all of her music is absolutely amazing, here are 12 song lyrics that have touched me in some way through my young adult years.

1. "All Too Well"

"…You taught me ‘bout your past, thinking your future was me.

Hey, you call me up again just to break me like a promise.

So casually cruel in the name of being honest.

I’m a crumpled up piece of paper lying here

‘Cause I remember it all, all, all… to well."

Every time I hear this song I can’t help but sing it at the top of my lungs. We all know that boy that for some reason keeps calling you and wanting to be a part of your life after he breaks your heart over and over again. Time and time again, we get our hopes up for someone who is just going to leave you like a bouncy ball in a ball pit. Another lyric Swift says is, “And I forget about you long enough, to forget why I needed to.” This boy that I keep talking about somehow keeps out of touch just long enough for you to forget about his devil ways and that is the way he lets himself crawl back into your life. This love is rare, just like in the song, but the really extraordinary thing about love is that the right love won’t make you doubt why you ended up with that person in the first place. It’s going to be hard to get over this boy that seems so comfortable to be in your life, but the rewarding part is finally realizing how strong and better off you are without that negativity in your life.

2. "Red"

"Regretting him was like wishing you never found out that love could be that strong"

If I could put the whole song in this article, I definitely would. This whole song talks about the roller coaster ride of being in a relationship. Being in a relationship is super fun and exciting, not knowing what the next conversation is going to be about or what kind of date you will go on the next weekend. But, there are also a lot more aspects. Breaking up with someone feels like the worst feeling in the world, and all you want to do is be alone to cope with this. Then, there is the feeling of remembering how awesome you guys were together and all the beautiful memories you had together. There are a ton more aspects of these relationships, but one thing is for certain: that relationship happened, and even if it ended badly, I think everyone can be at ease with the fact that you shouldn’t absolutely hate that person because there are special memories that y’all have that can remind you of the good times.

3. "Better Than Revenge"

"Soon she’s gonna find

Stealing other people’s toys

On the playground won’t

Make you many friends"

All right girls, let’s be honest. We all know we’ve wanted something that wasn’t ours at some point in our lives. But, that doesn’t mean that we should go out and get it. Having respect for another person’s relationship is a big part of being mature. Yes, I know it sucks watching your best guy friend who you’ve started to like, fall for this girl who is just absolutely wrong for him, but that doesn’t mean that you should act upon it. If the guy makes the move, us as women should be respectful enough to tell the other girl that, “hey he made a move” and you know maybe you do like him, but she deserves to know that she could probably find someone better for her.

4. "The Moment I Knew"

"What do you say

When tears are streaming down your face

In front of everyone you know?

And what do you do when the one

Who means the most to you

Is the one who didn’t show?"

“I promise I will make it.” “Of course I’ll be there to support you.” These are just two of the lies boys have said to me. You wonder how in the world can someone who you’ve given everything to just disappoint you like that? My momma always tells me, "When someone shows you their true colors, believe them.” This couldn’t be more true. Don’t give him the benefit of the doubt. He made a promise to you and he broke it; he doesn’t deserve someone like you who would be there to support him in a heartbeat. If he doesn’t see your worth, one day someone will value you.

5. "Mean"

"You have pointed out my flaws again

As if I don’t already see them

I walk with my head down

Trying to block you out ‘cause I’ll never impress you

I just wanna feel okay again"

We all know those people that time and time again just knock you down as if you don’t already know what you need to work on. Like yes, I understand I am a chubby person, no need to point it out every time you don’t like my outfit. These people’s words are like knives in our backs and I think we can all agree that doesn't sound very fun. I also think that if we, as a society, see things we don’t like, like someone being mean, we should do the opposite. Positive energy will rub off on the people around you. Those people who talk bad about other people and who never really grow up will have to deal with that their whole lives. It is no longer our cross to bear. A tip to turn it back on someone when they are being mean is saying, “Although you don’t like my hair, I really like your shirt. You have really great style.” People who aren’t afraid of being mean don’t normally know what to do when someone is nice back to them.

6. "Begin Again"

"But you throw your head back laughing like a little kid

I think it’s strange that you think I’m funny cause he never did"

My last two relationships have ended on bad notes. I never thought that I could come back from either one of those relationships because those people tore me down as a person that much. This Swift song gives people like me hope for the future. It may be two months, or it may be in two years, the timing will be perfect when it happens. You will meet someone that will make you believe in love again. This person will make you realize that those other relationships ended so horribly because this new person is just that amazing. It will be strange at first, because this person will compliment you in ways that your past relationships never did. This person will make plans or plan out the date instead of asking you five minutes before where you want to grab lunch from. The most important thing I learned about being able to find love again is that I wasn’t even looking for it when I found someone I really cared for. Even if it doesn’t last, this person came into your life to help you understand just how much you are worth and how you should be treated as a lady.

7. "Cold As You"

"Counting all the scars you made

And now that I’m sitting here thinking it through

I’ve never been anywhere cold as you"

A relationship shouldn’t be one sided. Both parties have to work at the relationship. One of the lyrics in this song says, “So I start a fight cause I need to feel something.” I know for a fact that I’m guilty of this. I would pick a fight just because I knew he had anger issues and would never lose a fight, just so I could see how he really felt. It's sad that guys make us use so much of our energy just to see where things are in the relationship. Those types of guys are not worth your time ladies.

8. "You're Not Sorry"

"You don’t have to call anymore

I won’t pick up the phone

This is the last straw

Don’t wanna hurt anymore

And you can tell me that you’re sorry

But I don’t believe you baby

Like I did before"

Have you ever had that boy that stays with you or only texts you when it’s convenient for them? These boys are the worst. They get so surprised when you finally get it in your mind that you are so better off without this boy. They think they can just say one of their legendary lines or give you that kiss on the forehead and everything will just be like it’s supposed to be. Not this time, because you’ve finally realized that they aren’t sorry for taking advantage of you.

9. "Innocent"

"Lives change like the weather

I hope you remember

Today is never too late to

Be brand new"

I have known for a long time now that I personally have struggled with things in my past that I am not proud of. As young adults, we are learning a lot more things about life and what we should and shouldn’t do, but I think we need to remember that if we never make mistakes, we will never be able to learn from them. I am a much stronger woman because I have learned from my mistakes and have fixed them. Every day is a brand new day to start from scratch and bring something new to the plate. Never dwell on the past because there is no time like the present.

10. "I Almost Do"

"And I just wanna tell you

It takes everything in me, not to call you.

I wish I could run to you.

And I hope you know that every time I don’t

I almost do

…And I hope sometimes you wonder about me."

It takes awhile to finally get to the point in your life where you get enough courage to not text back or Snapchat back to the boy that was once the primary person in your life. Although you have built this tough wall around your heart when it comes to this person, you know in your mind that you want this person to have the best life possible. You see them on the outside achieving things that they had talked to you about wanting to accomplish and are so proud of them as you hope they are proud of you. But every time you almost tell them congrats or tell them how proud of them you are, you are reminded that this person doesn’t deserve you anymore and that’s when you put down the phone and just smile at what could’ve been.

11. "Stay Beautiful"

"You’re beautiful

Every little piece, love; don’t you know?"

For some reason in today’s society, girls feel really uncomfortable with giving other girls compliments. This blows my mind. We were all beautifully made and have so many amazing qualities that make us unique. Every bump, every bruise, every curve, makes you the unique individual that makes so many people love to be your friend. Never let some stupid boy or a mean girl tell you that there is something wrong with you. Stay beautiful and never forget how extraordinary you are as a person.

12. "A Place In This World"

"I don’t know what I want, so don’t ask me

‘Cause I’m still trying to figure it out"

If someone asked me, “What song most reflects you?”, I would probably have to say this song. I’ve known for a while what I want my occupation to be, but there are many questions that people ask you in your young adult life that you don’t know. "Where are you going to live?" "What do you want in a relationship?" Another lyric in this song goes, “I’ll be strong, I’ll be wrong, oh but life goes on.” I think we get so bogged down with this cookie cutter life where people have to have every detail in their life planned out. My most amazing memories come from those spontaneous times that my friends were just like, "come on, we are going on an adventure". We’re not guaranteed tomorrow, so let’s cherish the day we are having with the people we are with and know that everything is going to be just fine.

No matter what point you are in in your life, there’s a Taylor Swift song that you can jam out too. I hope that you find the happiness that I find when listening to Taylor Swift’s music, knowing that I am not the only person who is going through what my situation might be at the time.