My Love/Hate Relationship With Working In College

Balancing work, school, and life isn't the easiest thing to do.

9

College is great, and is definitely challenging on its own. But add on a part-time job, and you've got a huge juggling mess. Sure, it's doable, and so much good comes from having a job while in college, but there's also downsides as well. So here's my top pro's and con's of my experience working for my university so far.

1. PRO: You get to meet and become friends with so many people

Having a job where other students work gives a great opportunity to make new friends. This not only makes your shift more enjoyable, but you may find yourself a new study buddy for a class you have together, or someone who has the same major as you!

2. PRO: You get to meet a diverse group of people

Having a job on campus allows for more communication, and besides making new friends, you get to meet and talk to someone of another ethnicity or culture, which helps to broaden your horizons.

3. CON: They SHOULD work around your class schedule.

Working for the university you attend, you would assume that your education would always come first. That's not always the case. Due to the amount of workers needed for the sites I work at, it's hard to give everyone the shifts they want and work around everyone's schedules.

4. CON: You miss out on sporting events

Being scheduled to work during sporting events sucks, and the chances of someone taking your shift so you can go is slim to none. So you mainly end up watching it on the tv by where you work, or watching the replay scenes when you get home.

5. CON: Finals week sucks

Finals week has approached and all you really care about is getting down to business and studying day and night. Having a job on campus doesn't really allow for that. While you do usually get really good shifts and still have plenty of time to study, who can pass up being able to pick up shifts and work an extra 13 hours? Tuition's expensive man.

6. PRO: You're getting paid, duh

Like I said, college is expensive, and if you aren't blessed enough to get a ton of scholarships, it can be hard to make ends meet. Especially if you aren't financially gifted either. Work study is a wonderful opportunity to help make tuition more affordable. If you are gifted enough to not have to worry about tuition, however, you now have some spending money for fun experiences in college, or to start saving for when you graduate. If you're that ambitious.

7. PRO: Job experience

Having a job and balancing school at the same time looks really good to future employers. It's also great for yourself, as it shows and helps you realize what the real world will potentially be like, and sets you up for success for the future (hopefully).

8. CON: It can distract you from school

While having a job on campus has it's perks, it also takes up valuable studying time. If you're like me, and can't afford to not have a job, grades can potentially suffer a little bit. That's taxing on the mind and can be hard to deal with, especially if your major is a more challenging one.

9. PRO: You don't have to go far to get to your job

Having a job on campus helps a lot in terms of transportation, especially in poor weather. It's even better when you can leave your dorm room or class and just walk across the street to work. Especially when you have to close the store at 12am and walk home in the pitch black.

10. CON: You lose valuable fun time

Having a job and balancing school also means you have to balance going out with friends and having fun too. All your friends text you asking to hangout, and all you usually end up responding with is, "At work again, sorry".

Obviously there's more pro's and con's to having a job on campus, or goin got school in general, and it's a different experience for everyone!