4 Pros And Cons On My Love-Hate Relationship With Social Media

Is social media detrimental or beneficial for society?
179

Let’s face it, social media plays a HUGE role in our everyday lives. It's a way to stay connected and updated with current and social events. Everything nowadays is documented and nothing really goes unseen. Whether it was what your friend ate for their lunch or their favorite song that they sang in the car earlier on their snap story, it’s all content shared for people to see it.

Although, with all the advancements that technology has brought us, with good always comes bad.

Sometimes it's important to take a step back and think, "Is what I'm posting necessary?"

I came up with my own list of pros and cons for social media:

1. It's An Awesome Platform for Networking

Opportunities are readily at our fingertips. It has made life more convenient and has saved us time from everyday tasks such as finding the best deals through websites like Groupon or finding job opportunities through sites such as Linkedin with just a click of a button.

The way we live and our daily habits have drastically changed over the years.

The way we connect in this world today is insane. Messages are sent and received within seconds rather than back in the day where it would take a couple of hours through a telegraph. Or if we really want to head back in time, cave wall writing were means used for communication.

2. Decreased Productivity

People spend countless hours scrolling through their feed of social media accounts. Then come to realize there was no actual gain for themselves other than the indulgence. It's a huge factor in why productivity levels have decreased in the workplace.

“Workers who surf social media instead of doing work could be costing their employers millions of dollars in lost productivity.” -Lisa Marie Mercer

Social media can also alter your chances to land a job. I have personally heard stories that people have been denied jobs due to what content they may have posted on their social media accounts.

I sit in class and watch as many people pay no mind to the lesson being taught and instead are on their phones scrolling through what the person sitting next to them did the previous night.

3. Lowers Self-Esteem

People are constantly comparing themselves to the person next to them. Like they say, the grass will always seem greener on the other side.

I feel like people get too caught up with intangible egoistical factors of social media such as the followers they gain and the likes they may or may not receive on a picture or post.

The addiction to social media aids in the phenomena, FOMO- Fear of Missing Out. Everyone constantly wants to be updated with the new dramas or trends or else they feel as if they are out of the loop.

According to an Australian study, "Every time we post, share, ‘like,’ comment or send an invitation online, we are creating an expectation,” according to the study. “We feel a sense of belonging and advance our concept of self through sharing.”

Seratonin is released everytime you receive a follow request or a like on a post. It almost like a drug and people can't go a day let alone an hour without it.

It has become a platform where people turn to for instant gratification by just a click of a button.

4. Outlet For Creativity

Whether it's creating/streaming music to posting pieces of visual arts to be shared. It's an outlet where people can express themselves through creative content that they post. People use creative ways to advertise their products and also raise awareness on matters that are important to them also through blogging.

It has given society the chance to spread ideas more easily and discover passions.

It's important to remember when you are posting something to be seen by other people other than yourself, to ask yourself questions such as:

"Is what I'm posting affecting someone's life in a positive or negative way?"

Set limits/boundaries for yourself on how long you are on it each day and your intentions while using it.

It’s clear to see that social media has changed the world, but has it been for the better or the worse?

Use the media, don't let it use you.