Love Exists
Love Exists
favim.com

In the complicated, confusing, messy and sometimes exhausting world of 21st century dating there always seems to be a few reoccurring phrases. Many are usually said in a fit of rage after being ghosted. Or when your favorite celebrity couple breaks up. Or when it feels like you have been single for actual decades.

One of the most intriguing phrases to me has a pretty systematic pattern. Someone throws their hands up in the air, almost as if they were surrendering. Half joking they boldly proclaim “Love doesn't exist!”

I have fallen victim to this deadly sentence at least a time or two. Sometimes it is simply meant as a joke to lighten the mood or ease the tension of the current conversation. Other times it is simply used to give my friends a laugh. Yet, with every joke comes at tad bit of seriousness, and an ever present pang of worry. What if what we proclaim is true? What if love really does not exist?

I can assure you, 21st century dater, that as you maneuver around the dating age of Tinder, ghosting, the liking of profile pictures, cryptic text messages,“talking,” and if you're lucky enough heartbreak. Love does exist. I want you to remember that. Repeat it to yourself over and over. Love does exist. If you’re ever feeling down I want you to think of these moments, that hopefully will make you understand that love is more beautiful, complex and attainable than you have ever imagined.

Love exists when your parents hug you and say they are proud of you.

Love exists when your friend texts you to ask how your day was.

Love exists in long meals with both friends and family.

Love exists in the laughter.

Love exists when your dog excitedly greets you at the door after a long day.

Love exists when your sibling ask you for advice.

Love exists in sharing personal details about yourself but also in silences.

Love exists in accomplishing something, no matter how big or small.

Love exists in drinking coffee on a quiet morning.

Love exists in pizza and ice cream.

Love exists when you take care of yourself. Whether that means going to the gym, taking a bubble bath or knowing when to say no.

Love exists in your grandparents 50+ year marriage.

Love exists in the perfect beach day.

Love exists when you look at the moon and the stars.

Love exists in finding the perfect job or career path for yourself.

Love exists in the good times and especially the bad.

Love exists in helping the less fortunate.

Love exists in traveling the world and becoming more understanding of different cultures.

Love exists in kisses, hugs and snuggles.

Love exists in faith and religion.

Love exists in friends.

Love exists in family.

Love exists. It is all around you, if only we stop looking at what we do not have and focusing on what we do.