Why I Love Being A Double Major

Why I Love Being A Double Major

"Nothing that is worthwhile is ever easy."

54
Why I Love Being A Double Major
Tumblr

Why would you do that to yourself? Do those majors even go together? How heavy is your course load?

These are common questions I get when I tell people I am a double major. Throughout my freshman year I constantly went in and out of the advising office changing my major from strategic communication one day, to psychology the next.

After the constant back and forth, I realized I needed both of them in my college education. While they may be different from one another, I value qualities in both and found that they actually can complement one another.

Many people are under the impression that you cannot have a double major and still be able to complete school in four years and have a social life on top of it. I can definitely say that is not true, especially if you plan it out strategically and decide to double major earlier than later.

Yes, it is more of a workload, but I do appreciate the extra work. I find my classes interesting and know I would be missing out if I didn’t have the extra courses. I am only at school for four years, so I might as well learn as much as I can.

It also helps me broaden my horizons and hopefully provides me more opportunities for the future. With a psychology major, the only way I would be able to obtain a substantial job after I graduate is if I go to graduate school. I am not sure I have the money or if I am ready to do that, so having another major that does not require further schooling is great. I feel more stability by having both majors, which makes me love learning from both.

Completing two majors helps improve my time management and multitasking skills. It helps me look at ideas or situations from different fields of discipline, which is important in decision making. These are skills I will be able to use for the rest of my life and in my future career.

Honestly, I would triple major if I could. That would definitely be harder to complete in four years, but if you have passions that you want to learn more about, it is worth it to major in what you love. Some might choose a practical major and then something they love, some might choose two unpractical majors or some might choose two practical majors. Whatever choice, if you love it, it will be worth it.

Double majoring may not be for everyone, but for me, it is worth the extra time and work. If you have two passions that you want to pursue, then why not go for it? In most cases, double majoring is a challenge, but it is definitely worth it in the long run.