Why I Love Being A Dog Mom

Why I Love Being A Dog Mom

Being a crazy dog mom has its perks.

18
Why I Love Being A Dog Mom
Caroline Williams

If you had asked me a year ago if i would ever call myself a dog mom i would have laughed and said no. Although, i desperately wanted a dog, I never thought I would love and care for a dog enough to call myself a “dog mom.”

After a few months of convincing my long term boyfriend that we absolutely needed a dog, we found a cute puppy who had been rescued and needed a home. When we picked up our sweet pup I never would have imagined the impact he would have on my life. My bed suddenly had a lot less room in it, my car had endless amounts of dog hair and we were entirely responsible for his sweet life. Our lives went from watching endless episodes of Grey's Anatomy to finding dog parks, or finding new trails to take him on a walk on.

When we first got our pup, I never thought I would get as attached as I am now. Leaving him at home with his 50 bones and a bed that is softer then mine, is always one of the hardest things to do throughout the day. Dogs have a special way of seeping into the holes in our hearts without us noticing.

His sweet wagging of the tail and dog kisses are always the best part of coming home. I know at times i can be a that "crazy dog mom," like crying when i drop him off at the groomers or letting him get a toy and a bone after he has to go to the vet. He may be a bit (a lot) spoiled to say the least but i can't help but love him so much.

After discussing an expensive vet bill with someone the other day, they asked “do you ever feel like he's more trouble then he’s worth?” I looked down at the sweet 75-pound lap dog at my feet and felt nothing but undeniable love for him. While he may be a handful when he does hundreds of puppy circles around the small apartment or chews up every toy within minutes of getting it, I have never thought of him as more trouble then he’s worth.

A year ago I would have never guessed that my camera photos would be filled of pictures and videos of my dog sleeping or chasing his tail. However, I'm certain my life is much better now because I have his love and companionship in it.

I know the unfortunate truth is that my sweet dog wont be in my life forever. Because of this, I will continue to give him too many treats and let him take up more than half of my bed. He has already given me more in this past year than I will ever be able to return.