Why Everyone Should Love The Beach

Why Everyone Should Love The Beach

Freezing waters has never been an issue for me.

6
Why Everyone Should Love The Beach
Our Ocean

Lots of people love the beach for various reasons ranging from swimming, to fishing, to lounging in the sun. These are just my personal reasons for loving the waves and tides. I could probably talk water all day, but I won't. Now onto opinions from a girl who would rather be a mermaid.

One thing about the beach that can't go unnoticed is shells. The sand is littered with broken pieces of shells. On occasion I can find some stunning intact ones and once in a blue moon, I'll find one with both halves. It's easy to gather an armful of what once belonged to the sea. The question is what to do with the shells after they're collected. Sometimes jewelry making is in order, other times sea decor is the answer, and sometimes they're for feeding to the chickens. I always try to put them to good use.

Freezing waters has never really been an issue for me. Sure it may stop me from going in over my head, but I will always try to wade out part way. There's something soothing about waves rolling over my feet as my toes sink deeper in the sand. Listening to the waters roar, drowning out the rest of the world as if nothing else exists. Watching waves roll other each other as the race to shore, bring new shells and seaweed to the dry rocks. The sensation really can't be beat.

One thing that's hard to miss while looking out onto the water are the various boats. Some race across the water pulling someone behind them either a few hundred feet in the air or skimming along the waters surface. Ferries blow their horn as people drive on and off. Kayakers attempt to paddle out before flipping over and complaining about their soaked shoes. Sailboats stand tall as they glide over the rippling waves. So far my favorite has been the sailboat that resembled a small pirate ship. As of recently that is my new goal: buying my own pirate ship sailboat before I hit thirty.

My favorite part of the beach though, would have to be the wildlife. Flipping over rocks and watching the crabs scatter. Poking the large ones to see if they are alive and trying to pick up the smaller ones hoping they won't pinch. One time at the beach, a friend and I flipped over a rock to find a tiny eel squirming in the damp sand. That was a pretty great find that may never happen again, but that won't stop us from trying. Other creatures include goeducks hidden in the clay who squirt water when you touch them. Some people have even been fortunate enough to find octopodes in the tide pools.

The one thing about the beach that makes everything ten times better would be the people who go with you. Pointing out seal heads that you might have missed. Friends who will take you hiking to the less populated portions of the beach. People who would be up for anything from bonfires to boats. Friends who will sing "Loreley" as you splash to the waves, where things seem better.