Finding Love And Acceptance Through Sisterhood

"Sigma Phi Lambda is the best thing that's happened to me."

227

Whenever I am wearing my sorority letters, I am always asked what they stand for, and I proceed to go into full detail about what Phi Lamb is and how it is different from Greek life on campus. For those who don't know, Sigma Phi Lambda is a non-denominational Christian sorority.

Growing up, I always attended church and said my prayers because that's what I was told to do. It wasn't something that I loved or looked forward to every week. So, of course, as I grew older I created a million excuses and stopped attending church and bible study. My relationship with God grew weaker and weaker as the years went by. Before this year, I could count on one hand how many times I had spoken with or praised Him since junior high.

At one point in my life, I declared that God wasn't real because of all the hurt in my life and the world. Why did good people have to suffer? If I had known God's words, I would've known that He doesn't give us more than we can bear.

I came to college with a broken heart, and I was pretty lost. I would say empty prayers every night and expect everything to be okay in the morning. Then I found this sorority. On the first night of recruitment, I knew this was where I belonged. I was surrounded by these women of Christ who were so loving and accepting that is was almost overwhelming. I watched them dive deep into the word and spread his light throughout the room.

A few weeks later, on October 13th, I accepted the Lord as my savior and made a commitment to Him. One of my sisters, Shelby, was there every step of the way, and I will forever be thankful for her.

When I found this sorority, I was weak in my faith and knowledge about God, but because of their amazing passion and loving spirits, I am becoming a stronger Christian day by day.

If someone would have told me two years ago that I'd be in a Christian sorority, I would've laughed at them. However, I think it's safe to say that Sigma Phi Lambda is the best thing that's happened to me. So, thank you, Ole Miss for bringing this wonderful sisterhood into my life. It will forever hold a special place in my heart.