Louis Tomlinson's 'Two Of Us' Is A Wistful Look At Grief
Music

"I'll be living one life for the two of us."

123

Since One Direction went on hiatus, many of the members have put out their own solo albums with the exception of the oldest member, Louis Tomlinson. Louis has put out smash singles like "Back To You" with Bebe Rexha. But, Louis had yet to put out a full studio album in the almost four years since One Direction officially disbanded.

However, in December 2016, Louis' mother died after battling leukemia. While Directioners will remember Louis' close relationship with his mother, Louis understandably spoke briefly about his mother's death. However, on March 7, Louis released "Two of Us" which is a beautiful tribute to his mother.

The lyrics themselves are regretful, sad, but loving. "You'll never know how much I miss you/ The day that they took you, I wish it was me instead." The lyrics get more hopeful in the chorus. "So I will keep you, day and night, here until the day I die/ I'll be living one life for the two of us."

The emotional and cathartic lyrics are juxtaposed by a gorgeous score full of violins and which builds perfectly to the chorus. The hopeful score underlays the veiled optimism in the song. Despite Louis' obvious grief and sadness, his promise to continue living and making her proud makes this song one that is wistful and hopeful.

For people who have lost someone close to them, this song can hit close to home. The opening image of the song is Louis calling his mother's number just to hear her voice, "It's been a minute since I called you/ Just to hear the answerphone/ Yeah, I know that you won't get this/ But, I'll leave a message so I'm not alone." Not only is this image a familiar one to those who continue to call or text loved ones after their passing, but what is also familiar is the deep loneliness that can come with grief.

Louis captures the non-linear process of grief. Despite having accepted his mother's death and accepting his life without her, he still will occasionally call her number or miss her like just after the death. The song accepts an untimely death but doesn't accept the reasons for it.

This song is the equivalent to a love ballad to his mother. While songs about grief and loss aren't uncommon, very rarely are they about a loss that was so publicized and personal to millions of people. Even if you don't know who Louis Tomlinson is--even if you weren't a Directioner--this song will hit you. There is something universal that will bring you to tears even during the most hopeful parts of the song.

As a former Directioner and someone who has experienced grief and loss first hand, I'm glad this song exists. In an interview with BBC, Louis is quoted as saying, " 'It was something I needed to get off my chest. I used to lean on my mum for a lot of things - anytime I needed advice on something she would be the first call I made.' " This hints at the therapeutic element Louis gained from the song and I think the listener gains those same elements. It empowers the listener to move on with their life with their loved one in mind, never forgetting them.

Thank you, Louis. Your mother is proud.