"Losing My Religion"

"Losing My Religion"

My personal journey

89
"Losing My Religion"
Question Mark Sticker

This is another topic that is of interest to me and I was inspired to start this piece after watching a recent episode of Grey’s Anatomy. I’ll spare the major details of the episode. A rabbi being treated on the episode has a conversation with one of Grey Sloan’s doctor’s, “There are no guarantees… No one lives a life free of suffering and injustice… Faith wouldn’t be real if they only believe when things are good… Terrible things happen, and no one gets to know.” If there has ever been an episode that spoke to me it was this one.

One question that often comes up in conversations is, "Why don't consider yourself a Christian?" Well, in short terms, I would say I'm not a postmodern Christian, nor do I identify with the Christianity practiced in the churches. I want to be clear here: I am not saying there is anything wrong with those who attend Church on a regular basis. That's great for you, but it's not for me.

In my early years I attended my grandparent’s Presbyterian Church, and I went to vacation bible school at my then best friend’s Baptist church for many years (where I was saved), and I attended a United Methodist Church with my mom and sister from about middle school or maybe a little before to about my freshman year in college and then honestly, as a recent college graduate I don’t think I’ve been to church since. It is very common to question and test your own beliefs.

Something that’s stuck with me for a long time is back from my first year of college—when I was attending Coe. I befriended the college chaplain within my first few days of settling into my new journey. She and my old friend Maddie convinced me to attend Wednesday Bible Study. This was the first time in a long time I felt comfortable in a setting discussing Christianity. Towards the end of my first year, we started reading a book—forgive me but I have forgotten the name. However, it discussed how not everyone’s God was the same. And the thing that resonated with me was, ‘everyone else may have a different perception of God or Jesus and that’s okay’.

For me what I need out of spirituality is the notion that God is the universe and everything that happens, happens for a reason. God will not give us more than we can handle alone, I still pray on a regular basis and I will recite scripture when I needed comfort. Mostly, for me, I try to be a decent human being to others and doing my part in society to be a good Samaritan or whatever. I know a lot of great people some of them are Christian, some of them are of other denominations, and some have no religious affiliation at all. So, this piece or for the individual who is struggling to find their footing in their faith. It’s okay not to use labels on what you believe as long as you get the meaning out of it that you want!