Losing a Grandparent Will Change Your Life Forever
Family Friends

Losing A Grandparent Too Early

The loss of a grandparent at early stages in your life changes you forever.

533
Losing A Grandparent Too Early

To all the people who have gone through saying good bye to your grandparents, I know what you are going through, I know how hard it hurts. I'll tell you a little about my story first. I was finishing my last year of middle school (eighth grade) when my grandpa went to be with God. It was sudden, It was fast, and I wasn't sure how to accept it. My relationship with my grandparents is like no other. He did everything for my brother and I, attended every sporting event, picked us up whenever we needed a ride, and of course, bought us everything and then some because thats what grandpas do. I stayed at his house the night he passed away. I remember giving him a hug and telling him I loved him before I went and hopped in bed with my grandma. The events that happened next were a whirlwind and if I tried to put them into words, I wouldn't even know where to start. That's how it happened and at thirteen, I didn't know how to accept it. I thought my grandparents would be around forever. To see me get my first boyfriend, graduate from high school, and dance with me at my wedding. However, God had different plans and I know my grandpa is with me every where I go and I know he will protect me always.

If your loss has been recent or you still have yet to accept it, that's okay, because death effects everyone differently. Take your time and focus on yourself. You may not be religious and thats okay, but as someone who has gone through this, look to someone for guidance. I looked to God for answers and He has helped me get through this rough spot. I'm not saying I have moved on, you never move on, not a day goes by where I don't think about my grandpa. However, I know everything happens for a reason, I know my grandpa is safe, and I know my grandpa is with me.

I find closure in knowing he didn't suffer. I find closure in knowing God didn't make my family watch him continue to fall sicker. I find closure in knowing I got to spend his last day with him. I find closure in knowing my last conversation with him was everything I would have wanted it to be. I told him I loved him and if I could I say anything differently, the only thing I would do is give him just one more tight "squeeze," as he would say. This experience allowed me to look at every relationship I have with people in my life and always remind me to say, "I love you" and truly appreciate the little things, because you never know when it's going to be the last time.

If everything is going down hill, trust me, it will get better. Things will get easier, you are never alone. Give it time and look to the people you love the most. Everyone is going through it, support each other and you will heal. There is no mountain you can't climb and there is no hurdle you can't jump.