Don't Be Afraid To Lose The Snapchat Streak

Life is happening right now, outside your screen!
581

The scariest thing on Snapchat is the timer.

When you see that timer you frantically snap your friend, text them, anything you can do to get them to snap you back so that timer will go away. Why do we put some much importance on the number of days we can snap someone in a row? A few days ago, I let all my streaks go to timers… even the 501 streaks. I wanted to break the cycle and not let these pointless numbers rule my life anymore. Here are some things, to think about and maybe you’ll decide to lose your streaks too.

What does the streak represent.

Honestly, what does that number near the fire really mean? Wow, you’ve snapped that person on the social media platform 125 days. Have you had a meaningful conversation with that person? Do you even talk to this person outside the usually “snap streak” picture? I can’t seem to realize the importance of a snap streak. Maybe it would be more beneficial to not focus on the streak but text or call that person to show your thinking about them.

We don’t even send anything meaningful.

What’s your morning routine? You get up and snap all your streaks a picture of your blanket with “good morning streaks” typed on it. You don’t send a picture of what you are doing or a picture of your smiling face to just that one person. You don’t make meaningful conversation with each of your streaks. You make a very general snap you can send all your streaks.

Does social media really rule your life?

Does that number by the fire really mean that much to you? If you stress over snap streaks maybe you should check your priorities. Snap chat is supposed to be fun, not rule your life.
We are supposed to rule the streaks, not the streaks ruling us.

We are ruining communication

When we snap we are supposed to be sharing our lives and talking to our friends, but really were ruining our communication. We are making is socially acceptable to only say “snap streaks” with a blank screen. We aren’t sharing that super cute dress we found at the mall or asking how someone is doing. The communication is gone. Is it really okay to just snap someone 1 time a day saying “streaks” and then tell someone you talk to that person every day?

Snapchat is annoying people

Are you that person that sends “snap streaks” to everyone even if you don’t have a streak? Or are you the person that opens all the “snap streak” pictures and never snaps back? Either way, you’re probably annoyed. You’re annoyed because no one will snap you back or you’re annoyed because you have so many snap chats. In the end, we only get annoyed with the app so why even bother with it.

Our priorities are out of control

If you are concerned about what time the timer shows up on a streak your priorities are out of control. There are so many other things in your life you could be worried about other than the streak timer. Worry about how the person with the timer is doing, when was the last time you actually talked to them. Make sure your priorities are in check.

Snapchat should be used to share our lives with our peers and have meaningful conversations. Snapchat is being used all wrong, so I lost my streaks and you should too. Losing the streaks was a scary thing but without them, I feel free. I am no longer tied down to checking that app every day to make sure my streaks are checked.

Lose your streaks and you’ll feel free.

Next time you go to open that yellow app think about what each streak really means to you. You don’t get a reward for having the highest streak, but you do get rewarded for being a good friend and checking up on someone.

“Life isn’t about the quantity of friend you have, but rather the quality of friends.”