As most people probably know, Lori Loughlin, best known for playing Aunt Becky on Full House, was arrested in March, 2019 for illegally bribing USC with about $500,000 to offer her daughters admission. Other parents, such as Felicity Huffman of Desperate Housewives, were arrested for similar crimes, but were offered plea deals for pleading guilty. Because Loughlin chose not to accept the plea deal, she could be facing a prison sentence of up to 40 years.
Although Loughlin did commit a crime, a 40 year prison sentence is far too harsh, especially when you consider the fact that there have been rape cases where the rapist walks free. Brock Turner raped an unconscious woman behind a dumpster and was in prison for less than six months. What Loughlin did was wrong, but not nearly as wrong as other heinous crimes that go unpunished.
There are white supremacists and racists walking free. Men who have raped not only women, but children as well receive nothing more than a slap on the wrist. People with privilege don't have to worry about their illegal wrongdoings, but minorities have to fear for their lives when they take a walk around their own neighborhoods. We are in desperate need of change.
Loughlin's punishment should fit her crime; in an ideal world, she would serve minimal jail time and be required to pay the tuition of any accepted student who can't afford tuition at the University of Southern California, where Loughlin's daughters attended college.
The United States justice system is broken in so many ways. The foster care system, our immigration laws, and so many other areas of government need to be reworked, but for now, Lori Loughlin's case provides us with a front row seat to how badly we need change. She was wrong, but there are worse criminals that get to walk away unscathed.
- Ivy League Application Scam Thoughts ›
- College Students As Told By "The Office" ›
- Olivia Jade College scandal ›
- Lori Loughlin Finally Had Her Court Date ›
- Let's Talk More About Lori Laughlin Facing Up To 20 Years In Prison ... ›
- Lori Loughlin now faces 20 years in prison with new charges ›
- Lori Loughlin could now face up to 40 years in jail after new charges ... ›
- Here's why Lori Loughlin is facing up to 40 years in prison ›
- Lori Loughlin Reportedly Faces an 2-Year Minimum Jail Sentence ... ›
- Is Lori Loughlin Going to Prison? Details About Her Potential Sentence ›