'Lore' Is The Perfect Podcast For Halloween

'Lore' Is Your Next Halloween Binge

Nothing is scarier than real life.

77
'Lore' Is Your Next Halloween Binge

"Sometimes the truth is more frightening than fiction", reads the tagline of Aaron Mahnke's award-winning podcast, "Lore".

The bi-weekly podcast started in 2015 and examines the history behind the world's most haunting folklore and stories. It's a deep dive into the dark side of human nature and will leave you more chilled than an episode of "American Horror Story".

Do toy dolls unsettle you? There's a reason.

Think Cersei Lannister is cruel? Wait until you meet Elizabeth Bathory, the 17th-century Hungarian countess notorious for slaughtering hundreds of innocent girls and allegedly bathing in their blood.

Convinced aliens don't exist? "Lore" will have you second-guessing what you thought you knew.

"Lore" has grown in popularity since its beginnings in 2015, and Amazon released a Prime original series based on the podcast last year. Mahnke has also published a few books based on the "world" of his series. With multiple formats, this series has something for everyone. You can listen to the actual podcast on Spotify, Google Play, Apple Podcasts, and the website LorePodcast.com.

From Lore S01E06, "Unboxed"

I never thought I would find podcasts enjoyable until a friend recommended "Lore" to me about a year ago. Now my early-morning commutes to school and late-night drives are spent listening to the mesmerizing voice of Aaron Mahnke. It's the perfect podcast for traffic jams, house cleaning, autumn drives, or walking. "Lore" is special because it involuntarily forces you to observe people from another angle—their motivations, actions, reactions, and, most importantly, their stories. It's educational in the best way. Be careful, though. This podcast will work your imagination to the extreme.

Who do I recommend this series to? Anyone tired of rewatching "The Exorcist," for starters. If you love horror, a good spook, history, human psychology, folklore, or quality storytelling, this is the series you'll want to check out next.

Here are six episodes I highly recommend if you're looking to get your feet wet:

1. Black Stockings

2. Echoes

3. In the Woods

4. Road Trip

5. The Castle

6. The Bloody Pit