What It's like Losing Your First Childhood Pet

They aren't just animals, they are companions for life.

15
Peyton Dalley

While I may have been only a toddler picking you out, I still can piece together some images of when I knew you were the right addition to the family. I had one goal in mind — a white belly Chihuahua, but not just any dog would do. I needed one with big satellite ears, small little black nose, and white paws that stayed delicate forever. Oh, yes and you HAD to be a girl- no questions asked.

There you were, my soon-to-be, delicate, premature puppy and you were all mine. It was every 4-year-old's dream. You would be my companion, protector and buddy till the day heaven called you back.

A child’s first dog is one that has a special place not only in the home, but in the heart. They become your protector, friend, and your ultimate snuggle buddy. The days when you’re afraid of the dark or to help get through more trying times like divorce. A childhood dog becomes often a childhood hero.

While my little Chihuahua may have only been four pounds (max), she got me through more tears and trying times than anything else. She also got to endure times of dress-up and playtime as most childhood pets do. As I grew older she became my shopping companion and shotgun rider. Together the two of us saw the West Coast to the East Coast. We both shared a love for a heated blanket and some good comfort food, whether it was in sickness or in health you were there to save the day.

Losing you was like losing a best friend of many years, 15 years to be exact. How you mustered through was a blessing. How I’m going to miss your squeaky little bark, your cuddles, and most importantly your companionship. I firmly believe that dogs especially can sense emotions in a human being since anytime I was feeling under the weather she would hobble to my side and snuggle up next to me.

A childhood dog isn’t just any pet; they are family and in my case, was treated like so. Watching her health deteriorate over the years was like watching a family member slowly start to go. I knew one day I would get the phone call that your little soul would return to heaven and when the day came I still balled like a baby.

Dogs are family, friends, and little superstars. And at 4-years-old, you can totally bet that I did, in fact, name my dog Superstar. And she was nothing short of that.

They say all dogs go to heaven, and I firmly believe so. You did a super job at being my companion over the years and now I get to have a little angel up above. Until then, thank you for being my first friend, love and companion.