15 Things I'm Looking Forward To Doing As Soon As Quarantine Is Over

Oh, to be in a group of 10 or more people.

125
Photo by Miami Dance Corps

You've seen the articles about things to do during this crazy period of quarantine, stay-home orders, and social distancing, but what's helping to keep me sane and lift my spirits is thinking about all the things I want to do once this is over. Most of these are simple activities that just two months ago I was definitely taking for granted.

Sit in a cafe and drink an iced coffee

Trying to make your own iced coffee at home somehow isn't the same. I want to sit down, relax, read a book, and be surrounded by the buzz and chatter of other people.

Go to a bar

I don't want to get drunk, I literally just want to be able to go somewhere with my friends, be surrounded by people, and have a fun night out. With drinks.

Go to a bookstore

Photo by Amanda Parel

The Book Loft in Columbus, Ohio, is my happy place. I can't wait to walk around a building full of books, take my time browsing, and focus on the books instead of whether I'm standing six feet apart from someone else.

PSA: Support your local independent bookstores! Many of them are still fulfilling online orders right now (including The Book Loft!).

Watch a movie in a movie theater

Lord knows I have watched enough movies and binged enough shows at home, but I miss the experience of sitting in a movie theater with a giant bucket of popcorn smothered in that oily butter. Plus, with a lot of movies having their release dates pushed back ("A Quiet Place: Part II," "Wonder Woman 1984," "In the Heights," "Black Widow," and the live-action "Mulan" among them), we'll have new, exciting things to watch.

Hang out in a group of 10 or more people

Photo by Miami Dance Corps

Texting, Skype, and Snapchat will never fully replace face-to-face fun.

Go to Mass

While in-person religious services haven't been totally banned, it still isn't safe to congregate in groups right now. Many places of worship are streaming religious services online, but a screen doesn't carry the same depth of spiritual experience.

Get my nails done

I'd been thinking about getting a manicure for a while (treat yo'self) before Ohio Governor Mike DeWine closed all nail and beauty salons. It was definitely the right call, but since I am the worst at painting my own nails, I've decided I'm definitely getting that manicure once we've made it through this pandemic.

Game nights in person instead of over Google Hangouts

Photo by Allison McKenna

Remote Kahoot and Jackbox Games has been a blast, but it's hard to see everyone's beautiful faces on my laptop screen, and it's definitely not the same.

Run at the gym

Don't get me wrong, I did NOT do this often before Ohio's gyms and fitness centers were all closed. However, it was something I did to blow off steam when I was stressed or feeling down and out, so I DEFINITELY miss that release right now. With my bad knees, running around my neighborhood on the concrete is not the best idea.

Do homework in the library

Or literally anywhere other than my apartment.

Have a date night

Photo by Amanda Parel

I want to dress up in some of the cute clothes I got before all of this happened that I haven't had an excuse to wear yet.

Grocery shopping

By this, I mean being able to go to the store without it being out of meat and without people swarming the toilet paper aisle. People, STOP hoarding!

Eat lunch with a friend

I miss the days when you could go to a restaurant, sit down, eat, and talk with your friends for a while.

Bowling

Again, I didn't do this that often before, but after being stuck inside, it sounds like a lot of fun.

Travel

Photo by Amanda Parel

With my spring break plans but on hold indefinitely, I'm so ready to go to the beach and soak up some sun.

Yes, I know we still have at least a couple more months of social distancing to go before things start to get better. But it's good to be optimistic about the future because we won't be stuck at home forever!