A Look Into What It's Like Working At Wow

People often ask me what it's like working at Wow, here are just a few aspects to it.

15
ONU.edu

Usually, when people find out what I do for work on campus, they ask me what it's like. Their curiosity makes sense since no one really sees the entire behind the scenes of what we all do to make their food, clean the place, and prepare for each day. I often hear complaints from those who are standing a little too close, saying how they're waiting such a long time for their food. It saddens me, they can plainly see the line out the door or maybe it is ten minutes to close and we're trying not to be stuck here until three in the morning. I have the luxury of leaving early since I'm a college kid and I have often stayed over to help my coworkers as well. That's only a little bit of what it's like working at Wow. Here are some more things, you may or may not understand them but keep them in mind because this is what we go through.

1. Sunday is when you need to have the most patience as a customer.

Sunday is the day everyone comes back to campus from their weekend endeavors. The parties have stopped so no free food or drink. Any campus events are not supplying food either. So, all the hungry travelers along with the regulars all come to Wow. We have a line out the door most times and I, in particular, am often found running from one end of the place to the other trying to get food out. So, if your food is late, please be patient and just chill. We'll buzz you when it's ready and give you a box if you need it.

2. When it comes to mass production, picky eaters are the worst.

Most foods people get are the meal swipes. That contains a burger, a grilled chicken sandwich, a buffalo wrap, three piece tenders, or a cheese quesadilla. Since these are the most popular food options, we often have a line of the same order. Example being the buffalo wraps. Since they were switched out for the salad, they are just as popular as the chicken tenders. They are much despised by us because we usually have a line of five to fifteen in front of us. Each one is different, someone may not want cheese, someone else may not want lettuce, that person doesn't want any buffalo sauce but ranch, and that person right there is cool with the wrap being how it is. This happens every shift, no matter the time of night, so, if your wrap gets messed up in any way. We will gladly fix it but keep in mind that we're handling all the combinations in order to make the meal.

3. The best people are those who come in ten minutes to close.

This has happened way too often. All of us working often sigh and put on our smiles. We like to joke with these people, saying there is no food left or that we're tired and can't make anything else. Some laugh and order what they wanted when they walked in the door. Others laugh and ask what would be the easiest to make or ask what we have left. There's always a select few that actually believe us and really debate on whether they should leave or not. No matter what, though, we always put forth our best and make sure each customer is satisfied, despite the fact we wish we could just toss our hats and leave.

4. Sometimes things happen and we're unable to prep for the next day.

When Wow is really busy, it makes it extremely difficult to prepare sauces and cut lettuce for the next day. We usually have to do a little prep, run to cook, go back to prep, and continue to go back and forth. If I'm not working register then I will take whoever's place and do their job with mine while they prep for the next day. We all work together to get our work done but there have been instances where this was not the case. It upsets us when no one leaves notes that prep couldn't happen but we always make do.

5. I always enjoy feeling important.

I spend a lot of time running from one area of Wow to another, maybe stopping at another spot along the way. I could go take over someone's break at the grill and then run down to send a few orders out. I'll run back to the grill and maybe take a pit stop to help fold some wraps. To be able to do all this gives me a large sense of importance.

6. Every single person I work with is super sweet and probably the best you'll ever meet.

I wouldn't change anyone I work with in for the world. They all mean so much to me and they have each taken special care to watch out for me. They are there when I need them at all times. Even when each person relocates to a different part of the Sodexo areas, I am sure to go and visit. I am glad to have built these relationships and I know they will be my best friends for the longest time. I love my coworkers and all of my people.

Overall, I love working at Wow. I love my people, I love running around cooking and cleaning. When I was going to work at Wow, I had the choice between Wow and McDonald's. Something within me said to go to Wow. It was a great decision and I will never regret my decision. The hours we get as college students is limited and I grab more when I can, it can be tiring but it will forever be worth it.