Looking At The Positives After Each Year

It's time we stop looking so negatively on the year behind us and appreciate all that it brought us

14
Google

"Hooray! Woo-hoo!" Cheering and shouting was heard across the nation last night as we rung in the new year, 2017. Joy arose as everyone was excited that 2016 was finally behind them—that the terrible year of 2016 is finally over. But why must we look so negatively at every year? It seems that every New Year's Eve everyone is excited to be rid of the awful year that just happened instead of looking at all that it brought us.

Everyone has their share of trials and tribulations. Everyone goes through rough and difficult times. But everyone has their share of wonderful and happy memories. 2016 was a hell of a year. From politics, to wars and violence, to crime and drugs, to movies, to music, to births and deaths and everything in between, it's been one hell of a year to say the least. I understand that you might feel like this was the worst year yet, and it very well could have been. We've all had our ups and downs this past year, but there's no need to hate every New Year's Eve on the previous year. I only say this because it's every. single. year. that we hear the same spiel, no matter what happened. It's time for a change. It's time to look back at the positives rather than the negatives.

We must learn to look for the light and the good in situations rather than seeking out the bad and the darkness. We can be excited for the new year. We have every right to be excited for the new year and all it has to offer. But remember the good from the year that will soon be behind us. Sure, we may have lost friends and family. Maybe you lost your job. But look to what you have gained. Look at all you have learned. I believe that everything happens for a reason. Whether or not you realize or know the reason, trust that good will eventually come from it.

As this new year begins, I hope for peace and joy in our country and other countries across the world. May this new year bring new ideas, new insights, and a better understanding of one another. Each year, it seems that we take one step forward but two steps backwards in this world. Let's make this the year that we take three steps forward instead.

Check out more from Odyssey:

Loading video...