Longwood traditions make us super unique.

Traditions Are What Make Longwood Students A Family

We all hold our unique traditions extremely close to our hearts.

237
Personal Photo
Shalise Meadows

Longwood University is known for having the most outstanding traditions. Students, faculty, and staff are able to come together and participate in many of these events. Though we have several, there are a few that stand out to me most. I feel they really set us apart as a school and community. Thanksgiving dinner and Oktoberfest are some of my favorite traditions (though it's really hard to just pick a couple).

Anyone who knows me knows that I love a good Thanksgiving dinner. Longwood students get to enjoy TWO Thanksgivings-one at school and one at home. Friends come to d-hall in their best clothes.The assortment of food is immense. Dining hall staff even dresses up and serves us like it is a fancy occasion. We even have a tradition embedded in Thanksgiving dinner-the baked Alaska! This tradition gives us a chance to be thankful together as Lancers. To me, it shows that Longwood is looking out for its students. There may be some students who go home for break and are not greeted with a dinner. Longwood makes sure that all students are able to participate in this gathering. It's a great time to be thankful for friends, amazing servers, and a caring university.

Oktoberfest is another really fun time at Longwood. A special group of seniors gets to plan Oktoberfest; many underclassmen hope to be able to do this when they are seniors! The theme of Oktoberfest is revealed through dance, and shirts are sold for students to purchase (and you know college students love getting t-shirts). Lots of students even invite their friends who don't attend the university to join in on the fun! We have Spirit Leaders and Klowns who dress up and perform fun dances. Some organizations show their singing and dancing talents. Most of the clubs and organizations on campus create fun objects or prepare food and drinks to sell to Oktoberfest visitors. This is a great way for Longwood students to help organizations thrive!

Some other honorable mentions are singing carols around a gigantic tree in the "heart" of Longwood, Ruffner, receiving pass downs, items that have a connection to Longwood from seniors who are graduating, and stepping on the crowns for good luck while avoiding the rotundas in order to preserve the spirit of the school.

Our traditions make us who we are. I love sharing the things we do here with others because it makes me so proud to be a Lancer! If your school has traditions, please participate in them. You won't regret it, and you'll have the time of your life.