Spring, I Love You But I Love Summer More

Spring, I Love You, But I Love Summer More

Sure spring is great, but I am dreaming of a Long Island summer.

120
Olivia Romano

Picture this, a calm morning; lazily rolling out of bed, grabbing a coffee and book, heading to the beach to hear nothing but waves crashing against the shore. Can you hear it? The blissful sound of a Long Island summer.

It is spring semester and the month of April has just begun. Spring, I love you. But I love summer more. I understand I may be a bit ahead of myself but right about now through the chaos of school and life, a LI summer is much needed.

I am craving leisure. The overwhelming happiness, tan skin, beach hair, and laughs with my best friends. Living only 20 minutes from the beach is the greatest blessing. I could not imagine not having the convenience of having the ocean so close to home.

Many of my friends at school live 2 hours from their nearest beach. They pack coolers and plan these days in advance to make sure every single one of their friends can join in on the fun and sun. Meanwhile, my friends and I wake up at 10 am, drive 20 minutes and bring so much as an iced coffee and towel and were set!

It is interesting to hear about other peoples summer experience. For someone like myself who was always so eager to leave Long Island, I now understand the importance of home and just how much I took it for granted.

I guess that is the truth of anything in life. You never know how much you appreciate something until it is gone. Well summer, I vow to always appreciate you. Because believe me I am dreaming of you! Dreaming of not only the beach but the moments after too.

Coming home, getting out of the shower and seeing how your cheeks got a bit rosy after the long day outdoors. Throwing on your comfiest clothes, to then eat some dinner outside with your family and friends. Light still beating down at 7 pm. The days are long and eventful, but in the best ways possible.

So what makes Long Island so special? The fact that this could be my everyday. This was something I used to take for granted. For a lot of people this isn't a daily opportunity. It is a mind-blowing concept, simply because to many Long Islanders, the beach defines us.

Don't get me wrong though, summer to me doesn't just consist of the beach. It means walking through Northport Village with my best friends by my side, going to the dock, and looking out at the water with a nice ice cream cone from Wolfies in hand. Chocolate chip to be exact. It sounds basic, but the scenery is so beautiful and something I wish all my distant friends could experience.

Maybe I am biased, maybe I am too "strong island." But take my word for it, if you have a chance at all, to visit Long Island during the summer, please do! It's such a beautiful time. The air is fresh, the warmth of the sunlight is out, and happiness is at an all-time high.

I may be ahead of myself. Spring is here and summer is in the near future, but I would like to think of the happier, peaceful times. Reminisce just a little and anticipate the excitement of home, during the busy tail end of the semester. It is so close, yet so far.

Calming and leisurely mornings await and so does the ocean.