To My Long Distance Forever Friend

To My Long Distance Forever Friend

If we made it out of our awkward teen years, we can make it through anything!

12
To My Long Distance Forever Friend
Caitlin Creel

If you are ever so lucky to have someone in your life that has been there since before you were cool, smack dab in the middle of your awkward phase, who stayed by your side through braces, sweater vests, and Uggs when it wasn't even cold out, don't let them go. They are a special kind that only comes around once in a blue moon!

For me, that person is Taylor Dini. After many moves and many friendships, I moved to Kildeer, Illinois at age 10 unsure of how I would fit in and very intimidated by the upcoming middle school years, but boy was I lucky because I met Taylor within days of moving into the neighborhood. I had never met someone so loud and so proud to be who she was. Little did I know that 11 years later I would be sitting here today writing about how special she is. You see, every other place I had ever lived was for only a year maybe two if we were lucky and this was before the age of Instagram, Facebook, and snapchat. The only hope I had for keeping in touch was a phone call here and there and maybe a letter if I was feeling very old fashioned. So to me, a life long friendship wasn't exactly something I easily imagined. Of course at that age you say "OMG WE ARE GOING TO BE BEST FRIENDS FOREVER!" But then you end up liking the same boy or she traded lunches with someone else and it's all over.

Taylor on the other hand was different. If you really know me though, I think you'd describe me the same exact way and I think that's why it was so perfect. We understood each other on a level that no one else could simply because we saw the world in a completely different way! For fun we'd run through parking lots screaming and squawking like birds all while bending over dying in laughter. To be honest, pretty sure we could do the exact same thing today and have just as much fun!

Taylor and I only went to middle school together for two years because she's a year older than I am. When high school came we went on different paths but that didn't stop our friendship! We'd go on trips together with our families, swim during the summer, hockey games during the winter, and on and on. I knew I could always rely on her no matter where I was and if I needed a breather away from my "crazy high school stress" she'd be there for me to vent as I was there for her and we didn't have to worry about offending each other because we lived two totally different high school lives.

I remember the day she left for college was one of the hardest day of life up until that point. There would be no more weekend sleepovers, hockey games, or school dance pictures to attend. She left to follow her dreams in California and as happy as I was for her and so so proud, I was also crumbling inside. As she left for the airport, I climbed right back into her bed cried, watched a movie, and just stayed there for a while all hoping she'd maybe come back.

Regardless of the distance though, she's remained strong and true. I now am in Alabama and she is still in California. We see each other once maybe twice a year but my love for her has never wavered. She's the kind of person that even if you haven't seen or talked to her in months, it picks right back up from where you left off! We have been through heartbreak together, celebration together, and most importantly share our faith journeys together. Those friendships are special.

I know that no matter the distance, months, or years, she's always going to be there for me. Heck, she stayed friends with me even when I came to school with a bloody mouth after getting gum surgery because I'm a freak who loves a good education. Now that's a story for another time, but she was proud of me that day. She didn't shun me or ignore me but laughed with me at my craziness just as she has through the rest of the 11 years of our friendship.

If you are so blessed to have one of those kinds of friends, never let it go. And if you haven't met that person yet, don't give up! They're out there! I promise you, if I can find someone as weird as I am to do life with, so can you!

When you take a second to reflect on all of God's blessings, it truly is the smallest things like finding a friend in 6th grade that turn out to be the biggest representations of His love for you that He would give you someone so special! And I truly believe that He has someone like that out there for everyone. Proverbs 18:24 says, "One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." For me, it's a sister, but that verse is so true. I have been blessed with some pretty great friends over the years and they truly become like family. Those are the blessings sent from God. Blessings of a family we have all been promised in eternity beginning just a little bit early here on earth, how special! But that's our God, being all special and amazing like He always is!

God,

Thank you for special friends that become family. Thank you for the countless blessings of laughs, good times, and even bad with some of your incredible people here on earth! If life can be this fun right now with these people, I can't wait to see what Heaven will be like! And thank you especially for Taylor, who has been the standard for me while developing friendships. She sure has set the bar high and in turn has lead me to some other great people. I will forever be thankful for her and You.

In Jesus name,

Amen.