How Long-Distance Relationships Can Make Your Love Stronger
Long Distance

Yes, I'm In A Long-Distance Relationship, And Any Love That Can Last 500 Miles Has To Be Real

The distance means nothing when the love means so much.

961
couple kissing
Jordan Dobbs

Here I am at Baylor University and there he is 562 miles away at Mississippi State. High school sweethearts taking college head on and on our own. Currently on our separate paths in life, but still connected at the hip. The stretch of distance tugs at the strings of our relationship as we lead our individual college lives. I've been told college is a time for making memories and exploring options in life. What people mean is to date around, search for other fish in the ocean. However, I can still explore my life and make incredible memories while in my LDR. I am proud to say I'm in a long-distance relationship and I refuse to say otherwise.

Over a year in different states and we are still as madly in love as the day we left for college. This experience has been incredibly beneficial for both of us, despite how hard it may be at times. Throughout this LDR, we can discover our purposes in life and how we wish to pursue those dreams. These aspirations will need time to accumulate, but we have a start. I have sought a path towards Law, and he discovered a road leading to Engineering. We have the opportunity to be our own people and be one person together. It's the perfect situation, in my opinion. I have someone who will support me no matter how wild my thoughts may be. He has a girl who is inspired by his dedication and will encourage every dream he may possess.

Just how we will grow individually, we will flourish in our love. Long distance acts as the ultimate test of our beings. Can we tackle the physical gap of each other's touch? Or can communication remain a key factor to keep this relationship afloat? Absolutely, yes. We make time to Skype or call almost every day (I do have to say, it's so strange to schedule time to talk to your S.O.). We arrange a time to take out of our busy schedules for a few moments of us. Communication is the water for keeping a plant alive.

Honestly, I don't mind stopping whatever I am doing (maybe writing an article) to talk about our days even if they were boring. He makes every day exciting even if I can't share the day with him. Speaking to him keeps me calm when I'm amidst a storm of stress and anxiety. He reminds me that everything will be okay no matter what I'm feeling at the moment (Pro tip: if stressed, look at food recipes on Pinterest). We find the simple things in life to keep each other happy.

The happiest topic for us to chat about is our future reunion. I love breaking out my planner and calendar to schedule time to actually see him, like physically and not on a computer screen. Anyone that has been in an LDR knows that reunions are the best moments you could ask for. Months and miles apart disappear when we finally collide into a hug. That embrace makes every tear, every anxiety attack, and every late night up talking completely worth it. I'd lose sleep to see him just for a few hours (and if you know me, I love my sleep).

This challenging test of love has made us stronger and closer than before. As we are about to go into Round 2 of LDR, we are not afraid of the future; we know our love can tackle the distance. I am proud that we are able to have this experience in our young lives. I can be me and happily in love in a wonderful relationship with the best boyfriend I could have imagined. God has placed this incredible man in my life and presented Baylor as the right footpath to achieving my future endeavors that will one day merge back together with my other half.