To My Long-Distance Friends: Mileage Means Nothing

When friendships cannot be measured in miles

21
Etsy

To my long distance friends:

It is crazy how we are currently together, but will soon be split apart and going our own separate ways back home to our hometowns. Less than two weeks ago, none of us knew each other, and now we cannot imagine our lives without each other. I do not understand how we are together each day, and soon we will be Face-timing, calling, Skype-ing, and texting to keep our relationship afloat. It is crazy to know how in these two weeks my life changed because of you.

It has not hit me yet that there will be a day that we will not be together in the near future. Our common bond brought us together and will be the glue that holds us together for the rest of our lives. Ice cream socials, dinner parties and movie nights will be the memories that will remain when you physically fade away to go back home.

We clicked instantly at the peak of time when we needed friends the most. A built in support group that will be with me for the rest of my life is astonishing. Whether you are from New York, Chicago, Alaska or Nebraska; it does not matter. All that matters is that we have each other.

When life throws curveballs, it became clear to me that the people that mean the most to me are not always the people that are the most conveniently located, but the people that will travel far and wide to make sure you are okay are the ones that matter the most and the ones that will stick around longer than any boyfriend.

We all came from different backgrounds, races and religions. We are probably the most unlikely group you could ever envision together, but it works. Damn right, it works so well that each night I go to bed and a feeling of deep sadness comes over me at the thought that in a few days, we will not be together basically 24/7.

So to my long distance friends, thank you. Thank you for giving me your Captain America tissues when I was crying. Thank you for providing a shoulder to laugh on. Thank you for allowing me to vent my deepest, darkest secrets. Thank you for putting up with me when I have to change my order at restaurants. Thank you for sharing countless memories, laughs, smiles and tears with me.

Late night jokes and group chats with ridiculous names are just a slice of the relationship that we have created. To anybody but is, we seem delusional, but essentially, we are a giant, dysfunctional family.

I look forward to traveling all around the country visiting each and every one of you and racking up my American Airlines miles. When friends mean so much, distance becomes negligent. People search far and wide for friends their entire life, but I am fortunate to find friends for life so early on.

To anybody outside the realm of my homestate, thank you for being my friend and sister/brother for life. I love you to infinity and beyond.

“[BLANK NUMBER OF MILES] got nothing on us!”

Love,

Your friend from far and wide.