Living Like There Is No Tomorrow

Living Like There Is No Tomorrow

Living without fear and worry, as if Christ were just around the corner.

282
Living Like There Is No Tomorrow
Life & Faith

What does it mean to live like there is no tomorrow? In contemporary culture, this phrase is often associated with the idea of life with no consequences. When people are asked what they would do if there was no tomorrow, many answer with actions or behaviors that would be classified as wrong, sinful, or even illegal. But, I believe that Christ calls us to live like there is no tomorrow. However, this living is much different from these ideas in contemporary culture. If we are to live life as if there were no tomorrow, and do it as Christ intended, then we must live free from worry and fear as well as living as if Jesus was coming again tomorrow.

To live life as if there is no tomorrow in Christ, first we must learn to live without worry or fear. In Matthew 6:25, Jesus says, "Do not worry about your live, what you will eat or what you will drink, or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?" If we live like there is no tomorrow, then we must live life as if we did not have to look forward to worrisome things such as bills, food, or clothing. This, however, does not mean that we should not look ahead for our own spiritual well-being. At the same time, we are called to live without fear. This does not mean no fear at all, but rather, fear of earthly things. In Matthew 10:28, Jesus says, "do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." Again, we are called to live without earthly fears. This means that we should only fear for our spiritual well-being, not for ourselves or our bodies.

This is where the second part of living like there is no tomorrow comes in. While living without earthly fear or worry, we must live with fear and worry for our spiritual well-being. Let me ask this: if Christ came again tomorrow, would you be ready for him? I know that I would not be. But in order to truly live like there is no tomorrow we must be ready if Christ comes at any moment. Jesus urges us in Matthew 24:42 to "keep awake therefore, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming." Thus, we must live in each moment as if Christ were to come the next. This is where it becomes even more difficult, for this means to live without sin. How then can this be done, since all are sinful? We must always repent and forgive others and remember Matthew 19:26, "with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

I do not think that there is any doubt that we are called to live like there is no tomorrow. We must live in every moment as if it were the very last, making each and every moment incredibly important. While it is impossible to live this way entirely, it is similar to living like Christ. We will sin, but at each moment, Jesus is there to offer us forgiveness so that we may try again.