How Are You Living Outside Those Four Walls?

"Being a Christian demands constant progression, not perfection."

15

Being a Christian.

A true believer of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Living for God.

Would you believe me if I said serving God is more than just showing up for a service on Sunday morning? If you bring up the word "Christians" people automatically assume church. Yes, Christians congregate at churches, fellowship together to worship and receive the word of God. But it's what you do on the other 6 days you're not in church that determines if you're a true Christian. Drinking alcohol, smoking, fornicating, doing things you know you shouldn't and just because show up to church on Sunday morning does not mean you are saved. God's mercies are new everyday BUT that's not a free pass to do whatever you please and ask God to forgive you and all your sins while you're thinking about doing it later. And you have the audacity to call yourself a Christian?

To be a Christian literally means to be Christ-like EVERY SINGLE DAY of your life. Not only when you're at church, not only when the pastor is looking, not only when the Christian girl/guy you like is there, not because your mom has been arguing with you to get your act right. Because you chose to "pick up your cross daily" rejecting everything of the world and put your focus on God.

Picture this: You go about your everyday life, going through the motions. Monday through Sunday nothing different. The only thing is there's someone following your every move recording every single thing without you knowing. Now I ask, if what was recorded was to be broadcasted for everyone to see would you be ashamed? Would you think twice about what you're doing? If it's right or wrong? The reality is this is your life every single day. God can see ALL. Everything you do, He is with you at all times Monday through Sunday right by your side. The only difference is you know that He is with you but you still do whatever you want. And why is that?

Living for God should consume your life. He is the reason why you are here. He is the one who gave you life. Your "goals" should be to fulfill the plans that He has for your life while you are still on this earth. You're probably saying to yourself " I don't know what my purpose is." But I have one question .. What are you doing to find out?

Are you praying? And I'm not talking about those 5 minute prayers you do when you get to church before the service starts. I'm asking if there is communication within your relationship with God. He is an all knowing God but that's no excuse in not telling Him everything going on in your life. The same way you go to your "best friend" for advice or to vent. Why don't you try to go to God first? When something happens whether good or bad speak with Him and tell Him how you are feeling and any thoughts that you have. It's in those times while you are talking that you could even reach a point of understanding instead of trying to figure it out all in your head. He should be your best friend, He knows you better than you know yourself.

Personally I've had moments where I feel something heavy in my heart that I need to let go off. And before first person to pop up in my head are my girls, Angie and Oscarys. I've shared so many stories and experiences with them. And I know speaking about God to those who may not know Him as well as I do is what I'm meant to do. But I began to notice seeking them for advice was not benefiting my spiritual life. They were not able to relate with the experiences I faced on a daily bases. Yes, it felt good to vent but I wasn't getting anything in return. I was empty, the feeling of heaviness in my heart went away but I wasn't feeling any better. I spent more time trying to express my feelings so they can feel what I felt but it was time wasted. All of that energy could of been saved if I took a few minutes right when I'd feel the weight in my heart to talk to God. As I'd let the words out, God would ease the heaviness in my heart. There was no feeling emptiness and there has not been one time that I talked to God that after I felt worse than I did before. He gives you that understanding that no other friend can. Stop looking for answers in the world when God has them right in front of you.

Are you reading the Bible? Another thought you may be having is "I try or I've tried". Well that's how it all starts, the Bible is not the easiest read to understand. But the more you try the more you will begin to realize you are understanding what you are reading. How else do you expect to know how to live for God when you don't even open the one book that has all the answers? I've been serving God for a year and a half. But I'm going to be honest with you it took me a while to start reading the Bible. I knew I had to, I wanted to, but I would always hold it off for another time or another day. Because I too would try but I would never understand anything. I just didn't take it as serious as I should of. So I would pray before opening up the Bible that whatever I may read I would understand at least one part of it. And sometimes I would, sometimes I wouldn't. It wasn't until recently that I seriously challenged myself to start reading a book in the Bible and boy has my mind been blown. I'd find myself remembering about preachers referring to those stories in the Bible but I finally came across them myself. I still struggle here and there but it's all with time. And the joy of finally being able to read and understand to the point where I can relate it to the present and my own life. I love it and it pushes me to continue.

It does not matter now long you've been serving God, whether it's 1 month, 1 year, or 10 years. It's what you've done in that time. You can't just accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and that's it you're saved. It involves constant progress not perfection. You have to work on your spiritual life every day, desiring to grow in God and that's how you'll see God's hand in your life.

No one said I was going to be easy, but what I can tell you is .. it is so worth it.

Now it's time to ask yourself, are you a true Christian?